I need help diagnosing my AC performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahirTu

Reaction score
OK im going to make this short and explain everything clearly.

So i noticed my ac gets warmer when the car is idling (temp. at vents 65F) but when revving\driving it gets as cold as it should (temp. at vents 50F) *temperatures were taken on full blast*

then i decided to check things:
first things first (Ambient temperature is 100-105F )
Electric fan is running, no issues

Hooked the Gage set and reading were:
*at full blast and idling* (LOW 50psi \ HIGH 200psi) (temp. at vents 65F) (compressor not disengaging)

*at full blast and 2000rpm* (LOW 20psi \ HIGH 220psi) at 20psi compressor disengages and thats fine. (temp. at vents 50F)

Seemed a little low to me so i added refrigerant:
*at full blast and idling* (LOW 50psi \ HIGH 210psi) (temp. at vents 55F) (compressor not disengaging)

*at full blast and 2000rpm* (LOW 20psi \ HIGH 270psi) (temp. at vents 42F) (keeps dropping until reaching 20psi then disengages, but takes relatively longer time than before)

and here i got confused, pressures at idle are not looking to be at its best, but reasonable when revving (and that makes me think it's not low refrigerant issue)
And that affects how cold the air is blowing when I'm stuck in traffic relative to when i'm driving.

Does anyone know whats going on here? and why it's behaving this way?
Im guessing might be the compressor, but its only initial thoughts.

How i know something is not right:
1- At idle compressor is not disengaging\engaging like before,
2- Air temperature at vents before only swing about 5F (42-47) yes i keep monitoring
3- not the first time for me to work on my AC and it wasn't like this

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
For Maximum cooling use the re-circulating position fan on high or Position 4.
I often also find poor cooling at idle. When stopped, I often have to switch to neutral and rev it up a bit to feel the cooling on hot days.
The system seems to be less efficient and the real issue is that external temperature are high where you are & heat rising from under Jeep is adding to the problems.
You must be registered for see images attach

The factory uses 1,000 rpm as a baseline, and it is normal that we seem not to have better cooling at idle, go figure. It is not the coldest A/C vehicle on the block.
Here are the factory specs:
Your high /low specs seem a bit low, time for a A/C shop service..
You must be registered for see images attach

When it is hot outside, the under hood temps are extreme. Consider removing the hood LOL.
Or cut hood up and install hood louvers along with HD cooling as in fan clutch & matching electrical shroud/fan.
I have also thought about placing a front electric pusher fan forcing air into the condenser, I bet that would help.
I have also thought about taking my jeep in & having the AC system evacuated and getting some fresh re-refrigerant installed to see if that would help.

TahirTu

Reaction score
Thanks those are good points you mentioned, It's definitely mostly because of hot weather and the AC is at it's best when the car is moving, man i wish i could always keep the hood off hahaha, can't tell you how hot it is here.

If you look at the temperatures in the pictures you attached (highway speed & stuck in traffic) that's how my jeep always was. if i can have it back to those results i would stop there. sun heat is not forgiving here.

Well i think i will start by making sure i have the system properly filled with refrigerant and work my way there.

BTW my jeep came from factory with a clutch fan & electric AC fan, both are working fine.

Anyways i like you idea of installing louvers on the hood, it's seems possible for me to go to the junk yard get a hood and cut it up so i don't mess my original.

Latest posts

Members online