I broke my radiator - can it be fixed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my hoses and think I screwed the clamps down too much, because I broke the plastic coupler part the hose goes over. I noticed because after replacement, there's green fluid around the hose area.

Can this be fixed at all?

Attachments

• IMAG3717.jpg
    IMAG3717.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant buy one right away so how long can I keep going like this, is it alright for a little while as long as I keep the coolant full?

When i do get the new one, should I be able to tighten down as much as possible without it breaking?

oh yeah, where did all the broken plastic bits go to, should I be worried?

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic in your system if you didn't collect it all! Need a flush and a new radiator ASAP! Sorry to hear about the troubles.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with above, any plastic chunks in there would be a big issue. Next go around get the OEM spring clamps and you'll never have that happen. Those worm clamps are okay in an emergency but can't beat those originals. The worm clamps always loosen on me but guess I don't tighten them enough I guess. Back in the day we'd give a light coating of that Indian Head gasket shellac before attaching and tightening. Really shouldn't need it now but I think permatex still makes it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant flow direction would have pushed the plastic chunks into the radiator. For now, looks like you have enough of a neck to catch if you move the clamp all the way against the radiator.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Gosh That rad plastic intake is toast. You snapped it good (well bad).
I would not take the chance for too long that the rad hose could slide off and cause a bad mess or overheating day.
Get a New OEM rad, if you want it to last. Pay more now, and have it last without further headaches.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with TC. If I've learned anything here it's that overheating our 3.7 engine - even once - is the quickest way to kill it. A replacement radiator is cheap insurance against an engine rebuild.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you know when its going to overheat, the gauge on the dash isn't accurate is it?

Ive been driving like this for 2 weeks now, will have to for at least another before I can get a radiator.

Since the bits of broken plastic would have gone into the radiator, will a flush be necessary? I want to replace the rad myself to save $$$ but don't know how to flush.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you know when its going to overheat, the gauge on the dash isn't accurate is it?

Ive been driving like this for 2 weeks now, will have to for at least another before I can get a radiator.

Since the bits of broken plastic would have gone into the radiator, will a flush be necessary? I want to replace the rad myself to save $$$ but don't know how to flush.

The gauge is accurate enough to know when the engine is getting too hot. In the middle is "normal".
The broken chunks would be trapped down in the drivers side radiator tank, and are way too big to pass through to the passenger side and out into the engine.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, you should replace the radiator ASAP. I had to replace mine in the fall of 2011. Due to a small crack in the lower portion of the bottom of the radiator. I want to say that the cost was around $111.79 for the radiator plus tax. It was easy to due, and I posted some photos when my brother in law and I replaced it.:happy107:

Attachments

• rad2.jpg
    rad2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 26
  • rad1.jpg
    rad1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 24
  • rad3.jpg
    rad3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 25

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with an OEM radiator not an aftermarket.

Here's a few pics of mine going in:

You must be registered for see images attach

This is how it's supposed to go in...right?

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is awesome, thanks for the tips guys. Knowing the plastic didn't make it into the block is a relief, I think replacing this myself should be pretty straight forward.

I have been topping it up with Prestone 50/50, is it ok to fill up the whole system with this stuff one the rad has been replaced?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is awesome, thanks for the tips guys. Knowing the plastic didn't make it into the block is a relief, I think replacing this myself should be pretty straight forward.

I have been topping it up with Prestone 50/50, is it ok to fill up the whole system with this stuff one the rad has been replaced?

Now you will have to flush the whole thing. HOAT only antifreeze, Prestone is not , hopefully you'll get the radiator done and that crap out soon!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^Yup the water pump/plastic impeller in the KJ wont like that Prestone crap at all.
And now since a flush is in order.. if you do this yourself with water....all that water stays in the block..so...only use full strength HOAT not 50-50 mix.
Dealer HOAT is full strength not premixed 50/50.
Does (Zerex G 05) come full strength or 50 50 premixed only , something to look out for.
Option 2 would be to have the dealer do the rad Hoat flush on their flush machine.
That would guarantee proper mixture and no regular water in system where distilled water should also be used.
Last time I had the dealer flush done it was $139 if I remember correctly. well worth it. I sit at -50 too, just in case I find myself in the Rockies/Alberta in winter.
New Hoat every 5 years or 100,000 miles is the recommended intervals for the HOAT Btw. I do mine every 4 years regardless of miles.
Jeep seems to be happy with with the proper/clean coolant!

Last edited:

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so let me ask you this;

Ive been topping up with that stuff for quite a while now, and recently my heater wont work when idling, just blows cold air. Sounds like all this is related now, so replace the radiator, get a flush & I should have my problems solved...?

what have I done :icon_cry:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ive been topping up with that stuff for quite a while now, and recently my heater wont work when idling, just blows cold air. Sounds like all this is related now, so replace the radiator, get a flush & I should have my problems solved...?

There's a good chance that replacing the radiator and doing a flush will indeed fix things. You may just have an air bubble forming in the heater core due to low coolant levels.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It could and it could not. Depends if the prestone mixed with HOAT sludged up the heater core. But it's the best start. Make sure to bleed the system.

Last edited:

sfiforlife

Reaction score

Preston ruined my cooling system for a good week. It causes all kinds of bubbly gunk to build up and I had to flush it 8 times with water and it took me half a day to get it completely out of my system.

Now since you only "Topped it off" I don't think you will have this issue. I filled it up completely with that garbage the first time.

Best option is to get the coolant from the dealer "Mopar HOAT 50/50" You will need 2 of those bad boys. If you need to know how to flush just youtube it. Some like to use the little plug at the bottom of the radiator, I personally prefer taking off the BIG HOSE at the bottom of the radiator (You can't miss it). Run water through the system until all color is gone. You can also take out the reservoir back hoses and flush the heating core while you are at it along with the thermostat for a COMPLETE flush (search youtube video). One single GOOD flush should take you about 15-30 min.