Hypertech Programmer... how to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at possibly getting a Hypertech to help with my horrible shift points, laggy ******, and just overall poor power.

Does anybody know how these things work? I've never used a programmer before. Do you just plug it in and click program or something, or do you have to go over each individual setting? If I do, how would i know what to set things to?

Thanks,

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Max Power model 52501 works with his 04. I don't think Hypertech makes one for the 02-03 yet (if ever). I had the old style Hypertech tuner (got it cheap on flebay) for my old Z28. I primarily used it to adjust shift firmness, which it did well. Power increases (by advancing ignition timing) required using premium gas, otherwise the knock sensor would just ****** the timing back down if using low octane gas.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might adjust shift firmness, but from what I was told, you cannot adjsut the shift points with any handheld (even with SCT custom tuning). A B&G flash might do it (someone on here got it done) but you have to send in your PCM.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Would prefer the B&G route but cant wait for it to come back. + I heard if you make any other mods, you'd have to send it back again.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go the B&G route. A one size fits all handheld isn't going to net much gain since they are limited to preset timing tables and fuel trim. The tunes pre-loaded on them have to work well at all altitudes, slight differences that vary between vehicles, and not void warranties. B&G can't load tunes on a handheld? Why not buy a used pcm and send it into B&G to be tuned?

As far as having to get a re-tune after mods, you don't have to worry. Your pcm will still have a little bit of headroom to adjust fuel and timing since it's not stuck on the parameters they tune in. You'd have to add a pretty good amount of mods before you'd have issues.

Having had my 98 Cobra on the dyno for way too many hours, I've been able to see what actually adds power, and what works good together. It wasn't until I started tearing into the motor and adding boost before there was enough of a gain from being re-tuned to be worth the effort. So what I'm saying is, B&G can get into a whole lot more of the pcm and get you more benefits over a handheld.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing i did was call a wrecker for a PCM Module, they quoted me about $280 for one. I don't know if that's what they're worth or if I was getting played. I told them I found them online for $195, they started telling me those are rebuilds or something, wont work in Canada, something to do with the Century system, not just a plug and play, id have to get it flashed @ a Dealer blah blah blah, just a bunch of stuff that confused me.

What should a used PCM Cost me? Do you guys know anything about some of the stuff they were telling me? I really would prefer the B&G route, but i don't think its worth spending $300 on a temporary PCM + another $400 for B&G...

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B&G should be able to flash another pcm to work for you, and prolly won't charge much extra, if anything. Btw, just for S&G, I looked on ebay for you. There's a boatload of them(used OEM)for 100-200 bux. Most are junkyards that sell their parts on ebay, and I've actually used a bunch of them for jeep parts. They come with a warranty (anywhere between 30 days to 6 months). Just get one for your year model and you should be good. With the eBay 30 day guarantee it should be a little safer than buying a used one anywhere else.

agb0244

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but some where it was written that the power programmers only actually work on a small percentage of the vehicles they are tested on

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was at my previous job, we had a Superchips and Hypertech sitting on the shelf. Both happened to work for my 2011 Silverado. Since they were a non-wear item, I was able to try them out one at a time, then return to stock (they are Vin locked and can only be used on one vehicle at a time). I tested all the different tunes both Superchips and Hypertech offered. The only thing I even noticed was the shift characteristics, raised rpm and speed limiter, and pinging. My truck was brand new at the time so the pinging wasn't a mechanical issue. Neither one of the tuners modified TM. I think I noticed a little better throttle response, but It wasn't anything to write home about.

About a week after I returned my truck back to stock, I got an in person tune from BlackBear at an Atlanta tune meet. I paid $150 for the BB tune (I got a discount for organizing the meet). It puts the handheld tuners to shame. There was a pretty nice increase in throttle response and power, shifting was matched for my corvette servo, and the TM was removed. Even if I paid full price for the BB tune, it would have been worth it. I'm mentioning this because the B&G would be the same type tune as the BlackBear, and you'd get more for your money.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing I even noticed was the shift characteristics, raised rpm and speed limiter, and pinging. Neither one of the tuners modified TM. I think I noticed a little better throttle response, but It wasn't anything to write home about.

This seems to be the word in regards to Hypertech and Especially the Jet Chip

BlackBear - "It puts the handheld tuners to shame." There was a pretty nice increase in throttle response and power, shifting was matched for my corvette servo, and the TM was removed. Even if I paid full price for the BB tune, it would have been worth it. I'm mentioning this because the B&G would be the same type tune as the BlackBear, and you'd get more for your money.

With That said, I think I might go the B&G route after all. Has anyone ever heard of PCMs from the US not working on vehicles from Canada, or having issues after programming from a US company with a Canadian Jeep? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, someone from the Junkyard warned me about this when I phoned for a PCM out here, and then I became confused.

Also, If i do choose B&G..their site says i should have this filled out when i send it in....now Im even more confused! How do i do this?
http://www.shophemi.com/images/media/p-2563-build-sheet-calibration-form-1-22-14-pub.pdf

Does any1 have theirs i could look at?

Last edited:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume you could type in "stock" for everything, and Google the engine specs to give an hp estimate. If it was me I would prefer to give them a call to order. If you had a built engine it would be easier to fill out the form versus trying to tell someone on the phone. Thats just because you'd have so many specs it would lessen the chance for errors. It's kinda hard to make an error when you say "Stock 3.7"...

As far as pcm differences, I could see possible issues with a USA spec pcm in a Canadian rig. If not for anything other than emissions regs and km/h vs mph

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as pcm differences, I could see possible issues with a USA spec pcm in a Canadian rig. If not for anything other than emissions regs and km/h vs mph
There is no difference between and KJ sold in the US to one sold in Canada.You can switch between KM or miles in either PCM(same goes for the DRL's with a relay change also) by simply changing the country code in the PCM/BCM.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I see alot of money being saved by being able to use the same pcm vs one for US and a different for export.