Howling/rubbing sound from rear on right turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting a rubbing/howling noise out of the rear end on right turns only. Driving straight or left turns there’s no issue. Happens with acceleration or not. Any ideas?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have trac loc ?
How full is the rear diff fluid?
Certain its from the rear diff ?

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, got busy with a project. I’ll try and check the fluid this weekend. Not sure on the trac loc. No idea if it’s the rear diff. It just sounds like the right rear is where the noise comes from and only happens on right turns.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a bad passenger (right) rear wheel bearing... They can get noisy during turns and usually the noise doesn't change accelerating or braking...
Dave

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a bad passenger (right) rear wheel bearing... They can get noisy during turns and usually the noise doesn't change accelerating or braking...
Dave

Aren’t they usually loud while driving at all times though? I had kinda eliminated that as a possibility because it’s not always loud. But that’s a good idea, something I’ll definitely check out.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Check your spider gears and side gears in the rear end, mine are shot and I'm on borrowed time driving with them chewed up.
Mine howls at high speed under acceleration. Coast and the noise dissappears.
You"ll know how many items to replace when you see the condition of your gear lube. My first Lube change was full of silver flakes and chunks of spider gears that spalled off in the sump.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your spider gears and side gears in the rear end, mine are shot and I'm on borrowed time driving with them chewed up.
Mine howls at high speed under acceleration. Coast and the noise dissappears.
You"ll know how many items to replace when you see the condition of your gear lube. My first Lube change was full of silver flakes and chunks of spider gears that spalled off in the sump.

I’ll be pulling the cover to change fluid and check things out as soon as I can. Wouldn’t it make noise anytime I accelerate though, not just on turns?

I’m hoping it’s nothing serious like that but I will check them out.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Could be a slightly sticking brake caliper and what you are hearing is pads rubbing rotor in a turn?
Try replacing brake pads as a cheap test before you start opening up differential...

Reaction score
Could also be the dust shield on the back of the rotor. Look for wear marks on it and you can adjust/manipulate it to not touch the rotor