How to wire up a FORD external voltage regulator!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do decide to by a new ECM you may create new issues that you do not have rite now like engine problems.
first thing you will need is a spare alternator connector, I got mine from a junk yard.
here is a link for that
Buy CARQUEST by BWD Electrical Connector PT2042 at Advance Auto Parts
Next you will need the voltage regulator connector.
CARQUEST by BWD Voltage Regulator Connector PT65: Advance Auto Parts
You will also need to get the voltage regulator.
CARQUEST by BWD Voltage Regulator R400P: Advance Auto Parts
Next you will want to run a ground from the alternator to the case of the voltage regulator.
Next run a wire from a switch ignition source like the radio to the terminal labeled I.
Next run a wire from the alternator positive lug to the terminal labeled A.
Next run a wire from the Black/white colored wire on the alternator connector to Ground.
Next run a wire from the Dark Green colored wire on the alternator connector to the terminal labeled F.
As a side not you will not need to use the Terminal labeled S.
Also note that you will have the battery light on, but there is a part called a field replacement module for that.
http://alternatorparts.com/external-...nator-kit.html
Also note that this is for a FORD voltage regulator not a Chrysler voltage regulator.
These are the steps to install a external voltage regulator, but I would use the extra heavy duty or severe duty voltage regulator like the ones I found on ebay.
Ford External Voltage Regulator Adjustable Exheavy Duty | eBay
the part number for the extra heavy duty is transpo F540XHD

Latest posts

Members online