How to: Washer Nozzle Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could call it cowl removal as that is the only tricky part.

So apparently the PO of mine must have had a partially plugged nozzle on the driver's side. They must have tried to ream it out and the result was a messed up exit port. Too big to allow any pressure and spray pattern was just a stream or trickle. I've put up with the lazy stream of washer that would just clear the blade for about 9 years. Finally, thanks to a thread on here, I found that a replacement nozzle is readily available. Ordered (Amazon) from some dealership in Duncanville Texas for about 16 bucks. Tiny piece of plastic but 16 bucks. :favorites68:

The cat liked it:
You must be registered for see images attach

Remove Wiper arm: I used a small pitman arm puller I had to do some tie-rod ends a while back. Made real quick work of breaking them free:

The pins near the hood gasket at the base of the cowl near the engine were very simple. Didn't get pics of these but a small pair of Channel Locks and the center just pops up and the pin comes right out. (Thanks teeje and uss2defiant)

You can see them here:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f293/how-cabin-air-filter-27186/

Once these are out the cowl slides down toward engine to release molded clips that fit around bottom of windshield.
Windshield clips after removal:

Don't just horse it around at this point as the washer hose keeps things a bit tight. The washer fluid hose starts near the passenger side and is just clipped to the cowl by some built in clips. I lifted the front of the cowl (engine side) and just popped it out of all those points and detached the small elbow from each of the nozzle ends. The foam pieces at both sides near the hood hinges are just glued to the cowl with a dab of weatherstripping adhesive. They are tucked into the fender on the sides too but very flexible. I just popped the passenger side foam off to give more space to maneuver and slide the cowl out and then you can remove the whole thing.

Out:

The old nozzle just popped out with some pliers. I wasn't concerned about breaking it as it was toast as you can see (new on right):

Continued in next post...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This part is more about the shock and awe of removing a cowl from an almost 15 year old vehicle for the first time. At least there were no rodent nests present.

Needed one of these (and it really is quiet):

So there was a ton of debris! I did not fab a filter since as you can see the "screen" was still open for the most part and I started to think it may actually make the possibility of clogging even worse. The domed shape of the "screen" may be designed to keep larger things from plugging it up by allowing them to fall away.

When I say the reassembly was the opposite of disassembly, I really mean it. Just popped everything back in place and you couldn't even tell I'd been in there:

So it works and I don't have to cuss everytime I hit the washer switch. I'm pretty sure it increased horsepower and gave me an extra 10-12 mpgs. :happy175:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet the new nozzle is working good !
Wow, removing the cowl every couple of years to vacuum debris may be a good idea, based on your collection over the years.
I am going to remove my cowl with shop vac handy, I don't think mine has ever been off.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
New nozzle is amazing. perfect match with the passenger side now. Shop vac was a necessity. Many nooks and crannies in there. Funny part was that most of that debris was clearly from a tree I used to park beneath. Had it cut down about three years ago. Not much "very old" stuff that I could tell.

Might be able to get a look in there with a bright light through the slots. Really only took about 30-40 minutes to do the whole thing and that included pondering the removal of washer arms for a bit.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it was nice to get clean fresh air after the clean up!

the P/N is 55155854AB if anyone is looking to purchase a replacement.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet it was nice to get clean fresh air after the clean up!

the P/N is 55155854AB if anyone is looking to purchase a replacement.

Thanks for adding the part number! I ordered mine from Amazon. I saw them cheaper elsewhere but not with the free shipping I got. :gr_grin:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not kidding! :uhoh2:

Parked under a HUGE Mimosa tree for quite a few years. Beautiful tree but "leaves" were clusters of smaller leaves that were a perfect fit for the slots in the cowl. That tree was a mess but a hummingbird and butterfly magnet. Saved a few of its offspring but in the backyard now. :gr_grin: