How to Turn Camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendan

Reaction score
Crazy question, but i have my valve cover off to fix a rocker/lifter problem,

How can I rotate my camshaft to get them in position? I saw somewhere about a 21 mm socket on the harmonic balancer , but i have all my clutch fan and belt etc on. Is there another easy way ?

2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Considering the high compression of these engines, get the belt off first.
Next would be to remove all 6 spark plugs.
Yes 21 mm at balancer, 1/2 inch socket with extension, hold extension inwards & use breaker bar, turn clockwise direction.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brendan

Reaction score
Thanks.

Any idea what the best way to clean out the inside of my valve pan where the rockers and lifters are? I manged to get some dirt in there while working on it. not sure if compressed air or spraying it down with electrical cleaner etc.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a photo you can post of the dirt ?
LPS Pre-Solve comes to mind, but it's hard to recommend what is needed without a pic.

Brendan

Reaction score
I can snap one tomorrow.

Can I pop a few more questions at you on the valve issue, I am new to this. My jeep overheated and long story short replaced water pump/thermostat and checked the electric fan to fan. After all that i noticed constant misfires on the blue driver report. So zero compression in number 5. take of valve and rocker is sitting on the bottom of the pan. I thought lifter has seized .....

but then I saw they are not supposed to be able to compress by hand, some videos said you should be able to compress by hand (confused). I bought a new one anyway and its stiffer then the old one..... Is that normal ?
Should i soak it in oil before install or is there a chance my old one was good and maybe the rocker slipped off due to engine overheating ?

Thanks for the help LibertyTC

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Anytime we are talking about over heating the concern arises regarding head gasket & machining ++
Is there any gunky mess/ coolant mixed in with the oil ? I assume you have not removed the entire head correct?
I also assume you are talking about the rocker & lifters here/removal & installation?
If so here is a 2008 informational video showing procedure on a 2008.
Yes to oil on lifter.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brendan

Reaction score
I didn't notice any antifrezee in the oil or gunk, I did my compression tests and they ranged from 155 - 180 except for number 5 which was zero both dry and wet. i just removed the valve cover so far and first thing i saw was a rocker sitting at the bottom of the pan.

That's kinda where i am. would that rocker coming off give me a zero psi compression?
I was kinda hoping to put it back on with a new lifter and try the compression test again.

Do i need to put the valve cover back on for the compression test..... man was that a nightmare to get off. I pulled 4 bolts out of the cover and lost 3 but only 2.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video shows what I think is exactly your situation and how to put the rocker arm back on.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brendan

Reaction score
I went to put in the rocker and it slipped in by hand with a new lifter so on closer inspection it looks like the lower part with the spring is stuck further down then another one I looked at in the up position. I measured about 3/4 " up from the top part of where the spring sits.

How do I get that spring out and what are the chances of that spring sticking down or is there something deeper inside holding that spring down ?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Was the effected cylinder rocker replaced with the cam lobe set at the top or correct orientation?
Once again some photos would help w/ description.
If the valve or spring is the issue or out of spec, special tools needed & work ahead, that requires reading the 2008 Factory service manual.
Turn off add blocker to get to view the engine section/ rockers - Valve springs etc..
https://cardiagn.com/2011-jeep-liberty-kk-service-repair-manual-wiring-diagrams/

Brendan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this photo helps you much.
The lobe that stick out on the cam is not straight up more of like in the 2 or 3 o'clock position pointing towards the driver side wheel.

When I look at 2 other springs that the lobe is pointing up the springs have 3 coils above the rim that they sit in. the screwed up one only seems to have 2 coils above the rim. Trying to get a closer view for a picture.

But definitely a gap between spring and cam

Attachments

• 20210416_154220_resized.jpg
    20210416_154220_resized.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 12

Brendan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this photo helps you much.
The lobe that stick out on the cam is not straight up more of like in the 2 or 3 o'clock position pointing towards the driver side wheel.

When I look at 2 other springs that the lobe is pointing up the springs have 3 coils above the rim that they sit in. the screwed up one only seems to have 2 coils above the rim. Trying to get a closer view for a picture.

Attachments

• 20210416_181226_resized.jpg
    20210416_181226_resized.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210416_181026_resized.jpg
    20210416_181026_resized.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 11

Brendan

Reaction score
In the one close up pic when you look at the bottom of the spring that 2nd coil is sitting just up above the rim on the other springs. I was tapping it with a screwdriver and that base cap (or what ever it is) will rotate and what looks like the spring also rotating with it. Not sure if that is normal.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh..Where are the valve spring retainer locks ?- #1..
You must be registered for see images attach

Brendan

Reaction score
If the locks came off would the spring no be sticking further up. My problem is the spring seems like its compressed down, or am i missing something here

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the locks came off would the spring no be sticking further up. My problem is the spring seems like its compressed down, or am i missing something here

I get you. I am concerned that it is possible your 3.7 swallowed the head of the valve. If the head is gone, the shaft protrudes up ( due to spring pressure holding the shaft higher. The spring would be under no tension at that point and you could wiggle it all around.

If the spring still has tension, and the shaft appears 'lower' that another valve that is closed, you have likely swallowed a valve seat.

Both of these conditions would have zero compression as a symptom.

I can't tell looking so far, but maybe you can measure the relative position and (height) of a similar valve that is closed (by looking at the cam lobe)

Another good way to tell is to get an adapter and put it into the spark plug port. a little air ( less that 20 psi) would let you hear if you have a loss either thru the intake or exhaust.

I hope I am wrong about the valve.

Latest posts

Members online