How to: swap grill for mesh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now i know this has been done before but i have yet to see it done like this so i thought i would share. So i hit a bird or something and lost some of the "teeth" to my liberty. Rather then find a new grill insert i figured i would swap it out for a decent mesh

I bought metal gutter gaurds and 98 cent black gloss paint.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then i flattened them and painted them black. In the end i only used 3 total. You might want to primer these so that the paint will stick better or maybe even rhino liner

Heres my jeep in surgery, with a very cold air intake

Here is the grill as you can see it was missing "teeth"

Cut the rest of the plastic "teeth out leaving enough plastic to make a tab to hold down the mesh

I then cut down the mesh into the right size. Dont forget to round one side of the end pieces and make the end pieces one row shorter

I pulled off the black plastic piece and put the mesh into that, then put the plastic back in to the grill. The plastic that was trimmed but left will hold the mesh down

Bend the sides down to help hold it

All done

Last edited:

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although your pictures don't look great (no offense), this is easily the best write-up I've seen for mesh grille inserts, and it definitely looks the cleanest. I'm definitely fixing my grill to look like this!!! Thanks!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my pictures are decent for a write up but i do need a better "after" pic but i just did this today and its been raining so i got to wait

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I meant, definitely didn't mean to put you down or anything. I use my cellphone for my pics anyway. It obviously doesn't impact the How-To. The close-up pics are very helpful! Thanks man! Can you see the small black tabs behind the mesh? When I change mine to this method I'm thinking about painting my tabs with a silver-ish paint to try to make them less noticeable; if that's the case.

leerdmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine a little different

I attached mine with light wire to the plastic ribs.

You must be registered for see images