How To: Shifter Detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, here’s my first try at a How To. If it’s a little rough, now you know why. This is also the disclaimer to follow these instructions at your own risk for the possible cause of permanent cosmetic damage to your shift handle.

I got my 2008 Jeep Liberty a few months ago and love it, but I’ve finally gotten to the customization phase of my vehicle relationship. So, I’m not all about chrome anyway, but what finally pushed me was my wife. She kept complaining that the transmission shifter reflected sun perfectly into the bottom of her sunglasses, so I was given the go-ahead to start the modifications :gr_grin:

After some tests, I decided that the “Bed Armor” from Dupli-Color was the best texture and ease of application for me.
You must be registered for see images attach

First, I removed the shifter using the instructions outlined in this post.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40810&highlight=shift+knob

I discovered that the chrome cap of the shifter comes off with a light twist. Now, don’t make the same mistake I made and twist it too far. There is a small plastic tab that keeps it from twisting off and if you twist it too far, it will break off completely, making for a loose fit after reinstallment. It looks possible to twist it enough to take it off and not break it off. The remote is to show you scale.

Here are the plastic pieces.

I sanded them down to make a better bonding surface

Then I put on two coats of the spray-on bed armor. After the first coat, I discovered that a set of chop sticks works great to keep them elevated so the spray doesn’t pool around the edge of the pieces.

And Reinstalled into the Jeep

I notice the colors are a little off, which I'm pretty sure I can fix by washing the rubber of the shifter a little bit--kind of dirty.

Well, let me know what everyone thinks! Input is encouraged :icon_cool:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it came out pretty good.

Dave

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it! Mr. Darcy doesn't have any chrome to be bedlined, but I like the idea of using it as textured paint.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way better than the chrome! If a wet towel doesn't work on the handle just bedline that too.??

I thought about that as well. If it gets too bad, i'll do just that, but it's pretty close right now after a quick wash :)