How to replace Inner Tie Rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEKsport

Reaction score
I've been advised buy a shop tech that my RH inner tie rod needs to be replaced. I'd like to go ahead and do both sides, inner & outer. Of course, I've got a boss (wife) that I need to convince first! The outers look easy enough, but i havent had much luck finding good info on doing the inners.
Can the inners be done just putting the KJ on jack stands?
Looking at the MOOG products. They seem to have a good rep and aren't that expensive. Any opinions about other brands that are less $$ but equal quality?

03 Sport 3.7 select-trac
no added fun stuff :thumbsdown:
well, except the Destination A/Ts... love 'em!

thanks!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did one of my inners yesterday. It took all of 15 minutes maybe.

Jack up jeep put on stands. Take wheels off. Loosen the nuts on the inner tie rod. Take off outer tr nuts. Pop out outer tr from knuckle (easier said then done sometimes). Unscrew outer tr, counting the rotations (put new ones on same amount of turns to help with alignment). Remove inner boot / bellows, has clamps on both ends. With boot off unscrew inner tr. They make a tool for this, I just used a big pair of channel locks. Put some thread locker on the new inner tr and screw back in. Should be torqued to 50-55 ft lbs if you use the special tool you can put a torque wrench on it. Then re instal boot and clamps and outer tr. Easy peasy.

Also, if not using the special tool, turn your steering wheel and it will extend the end off the inner tr enough to get at it with a wrench. Just remember to straighten the steering wheel before putting the tr into the steering knuckle.

Edit: I would go with Moog parts. They make good stuff.

Last edited:

NEKsport

Reaction score
thanks for the help eyehatetofu. I'll try to turn it into a "how to" for the next newbie! haha. If you don't mind... Did you buy your parts locally or online? I saw some decent deals on ebay of course, but ya know how that goes. I havent priced them at any local stores yet.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help eyehatetofu. I'll try to turn it into a "how to" for the next newbie! haha. If you don't mind... Did you buy your parts locally or online? I saw some decent deals on ebay of course, but ya know how that goes. I havent priced them at any local stores yet.

jut get moog.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I buy 99% of my stuff at NAPA if possible, hate buying on line. If I have a problem I want to walk in/ slam the part on the counter. Hard to do over the internet!!!:icon_lol:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy 99% of my stuff at NAPA if possible, hate buying on line. If I have a problem I want to walk in/ slam the part on the counter. Hard to do over the internet!!!:icon_lol:

Best way to do it, I have local Alberta owned part place I deal with, Great prices, Knowledgeable staff, Practically everything is warrantied for a year with the receipt, I just was there on my lunch break to exchange a 9145 fog light bulb I bought back in august that failed and got a new one no questions asked, I don't mind Amazon's return policy though, They were great to deal with.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I usually check RockAuto first. They sell Moog parts. They can run 50% of the price of the same part from a parts store. I bought my inner TR from O'Riellys though. I needed the part and couldn't wait. X2 on what tommudd said; Napa premium parts are good to go as well.

NEKsport

Reaction score
I just did one of my inners yesterday. It took all of 15 minutes maybe.

Jack up jeep put on stands. Take wheels off. Loosen the nuts on the inner tie rod. Take off outer tr nuts. Pop out outer tr from knuckle (easier said then done sometimes). Unscrew outer tr, counting the rotations (put new ones on same amount of turns to help with alignment). Remove inner boot / bellows, has clamps on both ends. With boot off unscrew inner tr. They make a tool for this, I just used a big pair of channel locks. Put some thread locker on the new inner tr and screw back in. Should be torqued to 50-55 ft lbs if you use the special tool you can put a torque wrench on it. Then re instal boot and clamps and outer tr. Easy peasy.

Also, if not using the special tool, turn your steering wheel and it will extend the end off the inner tr enough to get at it with a wrench. Just remember to straighten the steering wheel before putting the tr into the steering knuckle.

Edit: I would go with Moog parts. They make good stuff.

So how can you tell if they (inner, outer or both) are bad? I looked under it yesterday and it did not appear they were touched by the shop that put the tires on & told me the inner needed to be replaced. i didnt have the wheels off, but I did not feel any "play" in the wheels at all. Nothing felt like a knuckle or joint was loose. The boots & clamps did not appear to be touched. No wrench marks on the rusty parts LOL...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the stock boots and what size/brand did you use?

I had a tear on my driver's side bellow and couldn't find a replacement in any parts store - all they had were generic boots and I hate using parts that aren't exact replacements.

Found the boot on eBay - perfect fit and went on in 15 or 20 minutes :waytogo:

R&P Boot Bellow - Jeep Liberty

Bob

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
So how can you tell if they (inner, outer or both) are bad? I looked under it yesterday and it did not appear they were touched by the shop that put the tires on & told me the inner needed to be replaced. i didnt have the wheels off, but I did not feel any "play" in the wheels at all. Nothing felt like a knuckle or joint was loose. The boots & clamps did not appear to be touched. No wrench marks on the rusty parts LOL...

In the shops I worked at we would raise the car, or truck, or jeep on the lift and one guy would grab a tire near the 9 or 3 o'clock position and push back and forth hard while another guy would listen, look, and feel each tie rod end and other wear points for motion. Anything you could hear or see was bad. Anything you could only feel was going bad soon.

Latest posts

Members online