HOW TO: replace blower motor assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find you're blower motor has gone out and you need to replace it please DO NOT pay the dealership to do it. With the proper tools and a bit of mechanical knowledge this is about a fifteen minute job.

What you will need:
1) replacement blower assembly
2) phillips head screwdriver
3) flashlight or other light source
4) mirror (not necessary but it makes the swap a LOT easier)

To start off, you'll need to locate the two phillips head screws on the insulation panel under the glove box. Remove these and lower the panel out, then place it out of the way.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now that the panel is removed you'll be able to see the blower motor hanging down from the housing:

Locate the wiring connector on the side of motor. Press the red locking clip forward as indicated, then press down on the back end of the connector and pull it off the motor:

This is the part where the mirror comes in handy. You'll need to find the locking tab on the motor (the part that has the paint mark on it) and pull it down enough to allow the motor assembly to rotate as shown:

Once the assembly has rotated enough it will start to drop out; carefully tilt the blower motor assembly down and remove it from the housing.

Now you're ready to install the new assembly which is basically the reverse of what you've just done. The only thing you'll need to watch for is to make sure you get the tabs aligned properly so that the blower motor will rotate into position. Once it's installed hook up the wiring connector, turn the ignition to 'ON' and verify that the blower works on all settings. Replace the insulation panel and the two screws, then pick up all the tools and sit back.

That's it! If you've done everything properly you'll once again have a nice stream of air coming from the vents and be a very happy Jeep owner :)

Last edited:

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and if you have a sport, pick up a courtesy light & install it @ the same time :)

LOL.. yeah, you're handy with the photoshop there, dood.

-Blu

krusty

Reaction score
loosing #1 & #2 on fan switch

folks,

any diagnosis tips? 3 and 4 setting are fine but any easy way to determine if it is the switch, resistor or fan itself? I am trying not to fix by process of elimination anymore :)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
folks,

any diagnosis tips? 3 and 4 setting are fine but any easy way to determine if it is the switch, resistor or fan itself? I am trying not to fix by process of elimination anymore :)
Actually you've already done your process of elimination. If you have speed three and four on your fan this tells you two things: 1) the fan still works, 2) the resistor block is going out. This is bad because you have to replace the resistor block, but good because you can buy 5 or 6 of thoses for the cost of one blower assembly. While switches can fail it tends to be an uncommon condition.

bobbyd

Reaction score
lost fan settings 1, 2, and 3; but 4 works just fine

So, if I'm reading correctly... this is an issue with the fan's resistor block?? Any tips on how to fix/replace that (where is it?)?

Jim_in_VA

Reaction score
Blower moter revisited :)

Great post, I love these self help answers and HATE paying the Dealership!

my 2003 JGC blower motor works for about 15 seconds when I start the fan. Could this be the blower or the resistor. I have the auto climate control.

Thanks for the help!

jeepgrl

Reaction score
I just replaced my blower motor all by myself! Thanks so much for the step by step process!! She's workin like a dream..:)

daninct

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this

Going to start this today (at least the removal) and have the part coming in a few days. I did the resistor yesterday but that did not fix my problem. Getting to the point where my daughter will need the defroster and heat!

I remember the days of the chilton manuals and library hunts for repair manuals. Bless the internet and folks like you that post these instructions. Saves so much time and with the economy still in the tubes helps us all save a buck.

daninct

Reaction score
update

so the removal took a bit longer than I thought but it was my own doing. Where the instructions said push the red tab forward then pull down on mine it was pull out not down. I was also stumped on the painted tab piece. I saw many painted tabs and was working the wrong one until I looked at the photo one more time. My fault there. Also I pulled a bit too hard and snapped off the tab. But I think fortunately I get a new one on the new replacement part (I hope).

again thanks for doing this.

OK so it is a few day later and the part arrived on Friday. I had a bit of trouble seating the blower and I can't get it to "snap" in place but it is not falling out either. I did test it before trying and yes I now have multi speed and all works. My daughter is so excited now she can defrost her windows.

So basically I replaced the blower resistor ($29) but that was not it. I then replaced the blower motor ($34 + $12 shipping). All total about an hour or hour an a quarter time spread out over a few days. Not the professional job by any means. But I saved a boat load of money.

Last edited:

AnneMarieS

Reaction score
All I can say is thank you so much. Thanks to this thread, and the one on replacing the resistor (tried that first, but it alone didn't do it), I was able to give my husband the ability to use his fan in our 2002 Jeep Liberty again. About a year ago, he lost all settings but the highest (which is why I tried the resistor first) and shortly thereafter, he lost that too. He spent the winter without the ability to defrost- man, did that suck!- but now, just in time for the heat, I fixed it up for him without wasting money having someone else do it. He's so happy he can use the AC again, and the defroster. Thanks again to this site and thread.

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to replace the blower on our '02 limited KJ. It had a burnt connection where the plug attaches that also melted the plug and jacket on wiring. Luckily my dealer had a replacement plug and blower in stock. They did give me a 25% discount on the parts.

Took me about 30 minutes to install. No more blower cutting off all the time ... :party52:

and thanks for the how to on the removal!

Just for reference: Blower plug Mopar part# 05017120AA (Source Code 908)

Last edited:

kev92gt

Reaction score
So if fan settings 1 and 2 dont blow but 3 and 4 do is this what i should replace?

Latest posts

Members online