How to replace a fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biscuit

Reaction score
2007 Sport. Is this a DIY job for the average guy (not a mechanic), or am I better off having the repair shop do this? The local shop wants $580, and while what little info I've found online indicates that this is a fair price, it's still a little rich for me.

Any links to how-tos?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I was able to find on replacing the pump if that helps. I haven't done it myself but it was the only how-to I could find to give an idea.

Let the amount of gas in the fuel tank deplete as much as possible. The less fuel there is in the tank, the easier it will be for you to remove and re-install the tank.

Disconnect the battery by loosening and removing the connectors from the terminals. Secure them so that they cannot touch the terminals.

Place a brick or block of wood on each side of the front tires to prevent the Jeep from rolling, then jack up the rear end.

Crawl underneath the Jeep, and disconnect the hoses from the fuel tank with your hands.

Remove the bolts that hold the fuel tank in place (you might want to get someone to help you with this step). Do not remove the long bolts with the rubber caps, as they attach the fuel tank to the skid plate, and this can be removed as a single unit. Make sure to keep any wires and hoses clear of the fuel tank as you lower it.

Clean the area around the fuel pump module thoroughly with soap and water to prevent any dirt or other contaminants from entering the fuel tank.

Remove the lock nut holding the fuel module in place. You can use a wrench, or Special Tool 6856, to remove the lock nut.

Lift the fuel module out of the tank. Have a bucket handy in case any gas spills as you're removing it.

Place the new fuel pump module into the tank so that it faces the front, and secure it in place with the lock nut.

Lift the fuel tank back into place about 6 inches below where it connects to the Jeep's body, and reconnect the wires and hoses.

Place the fuel tank into position against the Jeep, and re-attach the bolts to secure it in place.

Lower the Jeep from the jack, and reconnect the battery.

Last edited: