HOW TO: Remove/Install Front Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note: This article applies to 02-04 models only. As reported by ChrisUCF99, there were changes made to the '05 version - no screws in the '05s.

--------------

For anyone who wants to swap out their front grill for the more blingtastic chrome version. This procedure can also be used to add a temperature sensor when adding an overhead console (EVIC/OTIS).

While there's some debate about how long this should take to do, the estimates are somewhere between 3 and 30 minutes, with the 30 minute estimate allowing for the consumption of one or more beers in the middle :

You must be registered for see images

GRILLE REMOVAL
(1) Remove the upper screws. (Fig. 4)
(2) Roll the grille forward and disengage the two grille hooks under the headlamp units.
(3) Lift the grille forward and up off of the location tabs at the bottom and remove.

GRILLE INSTALLATION
(1) Install the grille onto the locating tabs at the bottom.
(2) Push the grille back and snap into the hooks in the grille opening reinforcement.
(3) Check that the black welts at the outboard ends of the grille have a uniform appearance relative to the fender and install the screws. =D>

ChrisUCF99

Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport w/ the 6 Speed Manual Transmission. I wasn't too keen on the body colored grill so I purchased the chrome grill. I just picked it up from the dealership during work and came back and parked it on the top floor of the parking garage cause I wanted to put the grill on. Went back to my office, grabbed a screw driver and headed back out. Popped the hood and too my surprise, on the 2005 there are no screws or tools necessary! Pretty much popped the "old" on off, changed over the grill inserts to the chrome one and clipped the new one in, easy as 1-2-3!

Thanks for the how to anyway!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice- Thanks for the update. '05 six-speed. I'm drooling. :) I updated the how-to to reflect your findings.

Welcome to the board, by the way, glad you found us!

-Blu

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same for kk???

Is this the same for the kk I have a 2012 liberty sport and I have removed the top plastic rivets but the grill wont budge:disgust:
I am affraid to pull to hard i dont want to break it

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the same for the kk I have a 2012 liberty sport and I have removed the top plastic rivets but the grill wont budge:disgust:
I am affraid to pull to hard i dont want to break it

Just remove the plastic rivets, then pull. There are some tabs by the headlights that retain it. Check over on Lost there is a write up.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remove the plastic rivets, then pull. There are some tabs by the headlights that retain it. Check over on Lost there is a write up.

Thanks I did look on lost but could not find it
I am gonna try tommorrow.

pauladiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

Anyone know if the later KJ chrome grill will fit a 2003 KJ Liberty?

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

Anyone know if the later KJ chrome grill will fit a 2003 KJ Liberty?

Cheers,

Paul

Im guessing you mean a 06, not really, well not with out body work and a welder, then a chevy front end will fit.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk 2

pauladiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im guessing you mean a 06, not really, well not with out body work and a welder, then a chevy front end will fit.

Really? They look totally identical. I talking about the 2005 to 2008 facelift Liberty chrome grill fitting the 2002 to 2004 pre face lift Liberty non-chrome grill.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at it, the 2004 had the bumper cut outs and the 2006 had the grill go all the way across.

There was a post some where that had a guy put a 06 grill on his 04. Even where the top of the hood was and the headlights area was different.

Just buy the grill that fits your year model.

pauladiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I've had a proper look they really are quite different! Never was one for detail.....:)

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Now I've had a proper look they really are quite different! Never was one for detail.....:)

That's funny 'cause I just looked at probably over 40 KJ's from '03-'06 before I bought mine a month ago... and I never noticed a difference in them :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online