How To: KJ Manual ****** Shift Know Removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How To: KJ Manual ****** Shift Knob Removal.

I noticed the is no write up for this or even a post with how to remove the shift knob for a manual kj, so here is a write up. Hopefully it will help other people so the wont have to figure it out on their own(which took a few days lol).

I am going to break this down into easy steps.

1. Pull the shift boot down from the shifter knob exposing the metal shaft that the knob sits on.

You must be registered for see images attach

2. At the bottom of the stock knob you should see a small pin going through the knob, and the stick. The pin does not stick out like the picture, I had it tapped out to show what it looks like.

3. Using a hammer, and a screwdriver, tap the pin out from one side. I found it easier to sit in the passengers seat and tap the pin toward the driver seat.
It is do-able alone but will be easier to have someone in the drivers seat hold the shifter to prevent play in the stick. Be careful to what size screw driver you use, the pin is hollow and will split open giving you more resistance.

4. Once the pin is removed the knob will pull straight off with ease. Be aware that there is a small spring under the knob. I believe it is there to keep pressure on the pin so the knob does not come off.

5. Install new shifter knob.

6. Pull boot back up over the base of the new knob.

You have now changed your shifter knob.
I hope this is well written and helpful to all of you. Comment with any questions.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift know? Just giving you a hard time, I knob what you meant ;)
Did you cut the base off the original knob and use that for holding the boot up in place?

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops. I'll have to edit that lol. No I did not. The New knob has three set screws. I used the set screws and used a black zip tie to secure the boot to the new knob. The boot was stretched from the thickness of the stock knob. I cut the tie short and you can really only see it if you look for it

Sent from space by the force of gravity.

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my shift knob last night and just wanted to mention that when you pull the boot down from the knob you can then push down on the knob which depresses that spring and turn the knob to the side and it comes right off and then you can easily pull the pin with a pair of pliers!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the knob I went with!

Attachments

• Shifter1.jpg
    Shifter1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Shifter 2.jpg
    Shifter 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 54

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my shift knob last night and just wanted to mention that when you pull the boot down from the knob you can then push down on the knob which depresses that spring and turn the knob to the side and it comes right off and then you can easily pull the pin with a pair of pliers!

When I did mine the spring was really tight and I couldn't push it enough and the the pin out. however, Nice knob :happy175:

Miguel Escobar

Reaction score
Shifter lever

Hey men i have a lot troubles too find the lever gear shift for that jeep can you take the dimensions of the lever to fabricate one i made one but does not works as should be, i'll appreciate your help thanks

Mike

regards

Miguel Escobar

Reaction score
Any one that can help me with a drawing and the size, i dont know why did you change the shifter is cool the orginal looks with style, i dont find the original is discontinued.