HOW TO: Install Puddle Lamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deep6blue

Reaction score
Hello all!

As promised, here is my How-To on installing puddle lamps. They were installed on an 05 Limited and it was a super easy install. Any questions, just ask! I am still in the process up editing and tweaking the how-to, so if you see something I missed just let me know.

http://home.comcast.net/~deep6blue/jeep/puddle_lamps.htm

I posted the how-to on my own webspace, but would like to move it to the forums for permanent accessibility. There are about 20 pictures though, and takes up about 1MB. Moderator, is this cool? If so I will add it to this post.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it! =D>

I wonder how they would look mounted under the sideview mirrors. I have been throwing around the idea of mounting something like this in the bottom of the sideview mirror casings. It would provide a larger light circle on the ground and the units would be out of harms way from road/off-road debris under the sides. It would involve some cutting of the side view mirror casing and alot more disassembly work. While I was thinking about this I checked and there was a new car model (maybe a Ford?) that had these built in from the factory! Maybe something someone should suggest to Jeep as an option! \:D/

deep6blue

Reaction score
I thought about mounting them to the mirrors. But decided not to because the projected light would be to far away from the jeep when you opened the door.

The light output from these LED's are nice. But they are concentrated a bit too much. On my F150 I used different lights that have a better beam spread.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
First of all, your puddle lights how to is very well done!!

Neat idea.

You just gave me the best idea!!
I just got a dome light for my rear seats off ebay:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Anyways, it never came with a pigtail to plug it into the connector spot, so I got this to deal with.

connector.jpg

I could either soldier a wire in there, then use liquid electrical tape to seal the connections to prevents shorts, but that just seems a little too risky being it will probably end up being connected to the bcm. finding a molex connector to fit that seems impossible as well. So I might just get put white leds in there, instead of the bulb thats currently in there.

deep6blue I had some questions for ya,

1.) what happens when the lights dim off, do the leds dim off gradually as well? I am assuming they do.

2.) What is the dimensions of you led strip height wise?

I know the length and width is 3.375 x 0.75 inches.

Also we could work out some image hosting for yea.

THANKS!
Bennett

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I desperately want to add a back light. That, imho, is one of the really overlooked things in the 02-04 models. Bennett - please follow up here and let us know how it goes. It seems to me like for those plugs you could prolly get away with crimp connectors (radio shack variety) if theres enough room in the center.

LEDS should dim just like incandescents, but I think there'd prolly be a point where they'd just wink out (prior to incandescents)

I've been waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig on this :) Looks like (light boy) Bennett has taken the torch!

-Blu

deep6blue

Reaction score
The LED lights dim just like the interior lights. It actually surprised mee, I expected them to just cut off.

Bennet: The lights are about 1/2 inch high.

The LED lights would work great if installed under the back seats. Might be another mod later on.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can find the instructions on installing these puddle lights? i went to this member's webpage, but it seems to be unavailable.

deep6blue

Reaction score
All, I sincerely apoligize for taking the instructions off line. I recently used the space for another temporary project.

The instructions are now in a Word document located here:

http://home.comcast.net/~deep6blue/jeep/

Have fun!

Update: I used 3m tape to install these lights. After about 10 months they are still attached. Even lasting the winter with me driving through the snow. Also, the clear adhesive caulk I put on the wire to hold them down is working great. It prevent snags and the wre from being pulled out.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
Yes, my lights are holding up great, too. I actually installed the blue LEDs at first, but thought it was a little much, so, i ripped them off and put the white LEDs on and i like them much better.
Thanks again for the great write-up.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
LEDS should dim just like incandescents, but I think there'd prolly be a point where they'd just wink out (prior to incandescents)

I've been waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig on this :) Looks like (light boy) Bennett has taken the torch!

-Blu
I replaced my front and rear interior lights with super bright red LEDs and found that when the engine is running they will dim to a certain point and stay lit. It's not a problem with the red LEDs but I'm not sure about other colors. With the engine off they will dim and then cut off.

Latest posts

Members online