HOW TO: Install an Alpine iPod adapter in your glovebox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoasterG

Reaction score
Believe it or not, its pretty easy.

(Photos to follow)

1. Remove your radio from the center console, this is done by taking out the 1 screw in the bottom storage shelf (next to the power outlet) and then carefully prying the frame out from the sides using a screwdriver or putty knife.

2. Remove your glove box, empty it out then release the clips on both sides by pressing on them. Once its hanging free, slide it to the right and presto, your glovebox is out.

3. After you pull out the radio, some notes for future projects - there is a lot of space to the right side of the radio, enough to fix a small box like the Alpine XM adapter. Note: I had the Alpine XM kit but mine was defective, my 9833 would freeze up and not recognize the XM kit at all.

4. Attach the AInet cable to the proper spot on your Alpine headunit. Then run the other end thru a small space (where your antenna cable is) that runs between the center console and the glovebox area. If you feel around you should find it fairly quickly.

5. Ok now we're going to install the iPod adapter cable and plus into the area where you should store your owners manual. Personally I keep my registration, insurance card, emergency roadside assistance paperwork there so the iPod and all of that just fit great in there.

At the top of the manual slot there is a fairly big opening, run the iPod adapter cable thru this top slot and then, feeling behind that area, run it down and to the right. This is where your iPod adapter box is going to be mounted.

6. Mounting the iPod adapter box - ok its a tight fit in there, I bet the Alpine adapter box could be shrunk by about 1-2" inches on each side but I'm not violating my warranty by doing it. Look on the right upper side of the glovebox opening - there's a rectangular space that is the size of your iPod adapter box, if you tape the box there (I used velcro) and angle it slightly it'll fix with your glovebox closing without a problem.

7. Hook up the AInet cable and the iPod adapter cable to the box and you have a nice, neat iPod install in your Liberty, best of all no valuable interior space lost!