HOW TO: install a Kenwood Music Keg and Kenwood headunit &gt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
Hey guys. Installed this system mid last year. It's a kenwood KDC-X579 headunit (cheap - ebay) and KHD-C710 music keg (cheap - ebay). I also sourced a wiring harness, dash mount trim kit and antennae adapter from crutchfield.

stuff that's going in.
You must be registered for see images attach

stocker coming out.

adapter harness soldered to the kenwood harness.

music keg screwed down in the rear.

music keg DIN cable run from the trunk to the dash and into the headunit. (i went under the trim on the drivers side then under the rug behind the pedals to the dash) Harness and antannae adapter connected.
You must be registered for see images

all snugged up with trim in place.

it's all working.

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
sorry if it's not clear >>

it's a hard drive mp3 system (also does mp4, flac, etc) that enables you to play music. the cartridge comes out and you can play it at home (by placing it in a usb2 cradle) or bring it with you in another vehicle with a music keg (which i do).

read about it here:

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/index.php

the software enables you to control the hard drive through the headunit. displaying id3 tag info and letting you browse through playlists, genres, artist, albums, etc, all through voice indexing (the stereo "announces" what the categories you are searching through are without you having to take your eyes off the road)

robotmonkey

Reaction score
That's pretty cool! Voice prompts combined with eBay pricing makes it sound like a great value.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to mount it under the driver's side rear seat or under one of the front seats?

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to mount it under the driver's side rear seat or under one of the front seats?

i think i tried... but it was a little too high and their was not enough room.

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
well...

thats flippin sweet. how much did the whole set up cost u?

it was around $375 for the headunit and the music keg. you can find them pretty cheap on ebay.

Members online

No members online now.