How-to. Infinity speaker replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think this has been done on here before or even on LOST as a write up. All I could find going in to this was random info here an there. So here goes.

This may be different depending on the components used but I think it should be a good guide line.

Kenwoods I installed.
You must be registered for see images

Adapters I used for the holes.
Company
[/URL][/IMG]
Model #

Door
You must be registered for see images attach

There are two screws that need to be removed before prying the rest of the panel off.

In the grab handle

Behind the door handle there is a cover over the other one.

Cover off

Then I start prying in this spot and work my way around the door panel.

It takes some effort to pop all of the xmas tree clips out. Try to pry as close to the clip as possible so you do not break the panel.

You will then need to unplug any electrical and disconnect the rod from the handle. DO NOT let the panel hang on this stuff.

This pic is of the pass. side. The driver side will have another connector for the power mirrors.

You then will be staring at this!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/Marky_620/IMAG0344.jpg
And this stupid thing.

Take the speaker out of the door by removing the three screws and then disconnecting the connector from the amp.

Then remove the 2 torx screws from the amp and separate the amp from the speaker. I believe they are a T-20.

Then drill out the holes to 1/4"

You will also need to extend the speaker wires. My speakers came with wires with ends on them so I just soldered them on to the existing wires.

Mark the holes you need to drill in to the door to mount the amp. The amp needs to be low enough to clear the hole but not too low or the wiring will be in the way. Basically where the amp was mounted to the original speaker it will now be on the door.

Drill 1/4" holes in the door.

You will need spacers for mounting the amp to the door or it will get cockeyed when tightening it down and the bottom will hit the glass when its rolled down all of the way. I use 7 grade eight washers. Clears everything fine.

Make sure too that the wiring is out of the way of the glass and test the window to make sure it will clear. No need to get everything back together and find out it doesn't clear.

Mount up the speaker adapter.

Put the speaker in and hook it up. Test it to make sure you are getting sound. Put the panel back on and the screws back in. You are good to roll. Throw in some Justin Bieber and rock out :head3: :shrug: .

Side Notes and other thoughts

I had to drill holes for the actual speaker to mount in the adapter as the long screws were hitting the doors when I would tighten them down. It may be different depending on the adapters you have.

The door panels fit with no modification with the parts I used. This might not be the case depending on what brand/type of stuff you get.

I was kidding about the Biebs.

I hope this helps.

-Mark

Last edited:

Federalist

Reaction score
Why use the amps?

Your tutorial was pretty good. Why did you use the speaker amps again?

I was getting intermediate sound from the left side speakers only and most of the time there was no sound at all from the left side. I replaced the unit and speakers including the speaker amp. WAY more easier than keeping them. I do not know what the problem was, but I think the amp in the unit was probably going bad.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tutorial was pretty good. Why did you use the speaker amps again?

I was getting intermediate sound from the left side speakers only and most of the time there was no sound at all from the left side. I replaced the unit and speakers including the speaker amp. WAY more easier than keeping them. I do not know what the problem was, but I think the amp in the unit was probably going bad.

I kept the amp because I had to with the use of the aftermarket speakers. Now if I go and replace the CD player as well I will be able to remove the amps and run new wires from the CD deck to the speakers.

dallas_zx11

Reaction score
Nice write up. I did a similar setup on my old '05 Renegade, also re-using the factory amps. Worked great, never had any issues

Dustin/T

Reaction score
this is going to help me out a ton. jeep had an good idea with the built in amp just needed better speakers to hold up to the use. Nice write up

stev0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there enough power to run a set of component speakers (mids + tweeters) from the oem amps? Some ****** changed my fronts to pioneer coax's and they bottom out like crazy.

I figured I dont want to run a separate amp before I do the HU.

markwalker

Reaction score
Could the speakers be fixed by rivets? Or could this damage the speakers? I am upgrading my front door speakers.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done!

Gonna do this soon - my right front speaker has been dead for a while now. It's driving me crazy :insane:

Bob

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol better than what i did. I cable tied the amps to my new speakers loosely so they would clear the speaker mounting ring and be inside the door with the speaker on the outside. Still sound great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

kreindel

Reaction score
My cousin has a 2005 Liberty Sport, and as far as I know, it just has the regular system. The only thing that was done was a replaced head unit, nothing special. Now the one thing I noticed, and I'm not sure if it was like that before, is that the rear speakers play just bass, and the front speakers play mostly bass like the rears, and the tweeters are taking care of the mid/high's. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, or if its due to something with the head unit replacement, but it actually sounds pretty good.. also I was looking into replacing the front door speakers, just with something a little better, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the maximum mounting depth? and they're 6 3/4 right?

DavieB

Reaction score
Thanks!

I just created an account to thank you for a great post. My passenger window wouldn't go up, so I figured that since I was going to be in the door replacing the window motor, I might as well tackle the speakers, too. I knew they had the upgraded amp/speaker setup, which is costly to replace, so I have suffered with an awful speaker rattle for a couple of years.

Followed your instructions and everything went well. The driver's side seemed a little more cramped inside the door than the passenger's side. When lowered, the window seems closer to the amp than it does on the passenger side.

The guy on the phone from Crutchfield noted that the original speakers are 2 ohm. He found some 3 ohm Infinity speakers that sound excellent for about $70.

After I got mine out, I realized why they have sounded so bad since I bought my 2005 Liberty a couple of years ago: someone tried to repair tears in the foam with silicon caulk!

Thanks for posting.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my speakers. But I didn't have the premium system. HOWEVER. I still had a 6 speaker system. Found it odd the way this girl was wired. 2 separate full range wires going to the tweeter and the woofer.

So I crossed the woofer wire, ran a speaker wire to the tweeter from the crossover, and just left the old tweeter wire hanging. Nothing on it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops...should have been more specific...how does one get access to those front speakers?

Easy. Take off the A pillar covers. Two bolts on each handle covered by little plastic oval covers (you'll see them). I believe the bolts are 8mm and you'll need a deep socket for it. After you unbolt the bolts all the way (they will not fall out) just pull up and remove each cover. Then you can gently (but forcibly) pull up on the dash panel that covers the dash speakers. It's only secured by clips. The speakers themselves are held in my two screws.

Hope this helps.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add something, if you are like me and have a different sized tweeter going in the dash you can fab a quick and dirty bracket from muffler hanger strap. Bend it into a "U" shape around the back of the tweeter and line a hole up at each end for the screws to mount it.

This is the strap I'm referring to: DUCT HANGER STRAP 1 3/4 IN x 50 FT ROLL

You will not need 50' of it, though, nor will it need to be that wide. I think what I used was about 3/4" wide and I only used about a foot of it to do both sides. ;)

If your new speakers come with a crossover you will need to do some creative wiring if you are changing out the Head Unit as well.