HOW TO: Infinity Speaker Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So if you're one of the many to have rattly speakers, that really get nasty with any song with a half decent bass part, this works.

Refoaming is another option, but this is less $$$ and is easier.

Supplies:
Putty knife (to remove door panel)
Screw driver (philips)
foam (see below)
$3.50 at Home Depot, in the weather striping section, or you can by this stuff, what I used, $35+ shipping here, as it's Nasa Certified, astronautical, vibration dampening matter. It's just like the $3.50 Home Depot stuff, but guaranteed to add 10 HP. :happy175:
You must be registered for see images attach

So pop off the door panel (one screw in tray, other behind door handle under a cover)

Pry at the base, popping is normal, doesn't mean anything is breaking

Then remove the the 3 screws for the speaker.

And then you get to this part:

Take one strand of it, rip it off. Don't try to fit a lot in. Only put it on the outside of the cone. Tried inside, didn't work as well and it deadened the sound bad.

Mickeychop

Reaction score
A Few Questions

Thanks for the how-to. I just have a few follow-up questions...

1. Were your speakers blown or just rattling?
2. Do you think this will also work on an 03 Liberty with the Infinity (I'm assuming yours is the kicker system that it looks like they used in '05)?

Background info:
I have an 03 Liberty with the built in amp and my passenger speaker is blown. The vehicle has been great, but it has 115k and I'm not sure I want to spend $200 on a new receiver and two new speakers and I'm looking for a permanent alternative.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Rattling...if they were blown, this wouldn't have worked.

And yep, should work on an 03. Should be the same speaker....

Anyway, hope I cleared it up a bit! Welcome to JKJ as well! :D

Mickeychop

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, because my speaker is very likely blown out I think I either need to find a replacement speaker on eBay or a junkyard.... Or replace both front speakers and the head unit/receiver.

Nonetheless, Thanks again for your help and quick response!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd still try this....as when they rattle, I thought they were blown at first. Beats paying $150 on eBay for one! :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is pushing against the cone, it will eventually completely separate. :)

cubejockey

Reaction score
well sonofagun...Sounds a little muffled but its better than rattling base.

I used $2.68 pipe insulation at the Depot.

Cut off 1/2 of a 36" section. Of course, there's already a pre-slit cut made to open and fit on pipe, so make about a 1/2 inch slit parallel to it.

Gently slide the foam around the outer cone like HoosierJeeper did. Cut off the excess. It'll stay in place.

Coincidently on my way into the Home Depot. A fellow CRD driver (OMG what are the odds of two diesel liberty owners in the same neighborhood in the US!!!) stuck up conversation w/me in the parking lot.

blackvyper

Reaction score
Speaker Repair

I ordered a kit from the US.. it was cheaper than buying new speakers. I'll try to explain the steps.

Step 1: Remove the door panel by removing 2 screws. One is located behind the door handle and the other is behind the door grip. Pop off the clips around the door carefully.

Step 2: Remove the 3 screws holding the speaker in place and slide the red retainer clip so that you can work on it.

Step 3: Remove the speaker foam and any glue residue from the speaker using a putty knife of whatever you have on hand that will give you a clean surface to work on. After doing this I cleaned it off with acetone but I wanted a nice smooth surface for the next step.

Step 4: Follow the steps included in the kit. Which include laying down a bead of the supplied glue to the new foam overlay and pressing it lightly in place while removing any air bubbles.

Step 5: Let the speakers dry for a couple hours or longer if you can and reinstall them. My speakers sound alot better now and they don't rattle when I'm listening to my music :party52:

I bought the repair kit at: www.simplyspeakers.com

Attachments

• Step 1 (The door panel is off so I can get to the damaged speaker).jpg
    Step 1 (The door panel is off so I can get to the damaged speaker).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Step 2 (Damaged speakers (glue degraded from previous temporary repair).jpg
    Step 2 (Damaged speakers (glue degraded from previous temporary repair).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Step 3 (Speaker repair kit from the US).jpg
    Step 3 (Speaker repair kit from the US).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Step 4 (The speaker on the right is waiting to be cleaned and prepped like the right hand speake.jpg
    Step 4 (The speaker on the right is waiting to be cleaned and prepped like the right hand speake.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Step 5 (The right hand speaker is dry fit before being glued in place).jpg
    Step 5 (The right hand speaker is dry fit before being glued in place).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online