HOW TO: Grille Bug Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Materials/Tools Needed:
Window Mesh Screen (16x36 on a 2002-2005, might differ on other models and years)
Scissors
T-15 Torx Bolt (to remove grille)
A case of your favorite beverage

I got this idea off jeepprojects.com, hope they don't mind I posted this here. This is a simple and easy project to get those dead bugs out of your radiator and everything around there. I didn't take pictures during the process, but I'll post the final result.

Steps:
1) Remove the 4 screws at the top of the grille. Once you have these removed the bottom is held into place with clips. Pull gently and it will come off.

You must be registered for see images attach

2) Lay the grille face down on a soft surface. At this time the grille insert must be removed. There are small tabs holding it into place. Once removed lay it aside. Next, it is time to place the nylon screen onto the backside of the grille. Position it with equal amounts of overhang on all sides (6 inches should be fine). Place the grille insert back into position and gently press down. As it is being worked down into position you can see that it is using a lot of the excess screen. Keep working it down until you can snap the holding tabs back into place.

3) This picture shows one of the grille insert clips fully seated. Once the insert is in position and clipped into place you can trim away the excess exposed screen around the edges. Replace the grille back onto the Liberty and you are finished.

Will post pictures of my jeep later...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pics? Looks like they drilled holes in your bumper too. :-s I wish anything I knew that before I bought my jeep, they would of been giving me a new bumper.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Jeep Projects and found his post... and it had this extra photo...

This is a cool idea! =D>

You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up. I did similar but used a light metal for fences/gutters:
4wdParakeet said:
Nice Libby man. I really like the black w/ the mesh grille inserts. I've been looking at those. Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking?

Custom.

I went to my local hardware store and bought some gutter mesh(to keep leaves out of the gutter). Bought some all weather spray paint (chrome) and black small zip ties.

I took the grille out and measured/cut the gutter fence to match each of the grille slots. I then spray painted them and let them dry. After they dried I took the zip ties and use 2 ties for each grille section to hold the mesh stuff down. About 2 times a year I take the spray paint and go over the mesh stuff again to make it shiny (it actually doesn't dull as fast as I thought).

DSCF0033.JPG

Definitley the best under $10 bucks I spent.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7976&highlight=gutter

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it cuts down on air flow? I bought the stuff, but Idk if Im going to do it. With the 100 degree heat, I want all the cooling I can get.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not near as easy as that write makes it out to be. I had an awful time getting it to snap back into place. I had to file off some plastic on the insert so it would clip easier. Couldnt get it to just "pop" on.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had some trouble getting it to snap back on. I had to use a hammer to get the dang insert get back in. As for the air flow, I haven't had any problem. That looks great Phil, did you have any problems getting the insert back in, because I assume that the fencing material is thicker than window mesh.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
Yeah, I had some trouble getting it to snap back on. I had to use a hammer to get the dang insert get back in. As for the air flow, I haven't had any problem. That looks great Phil, did you have any problems getting the insert back in, because I assume that the fencing material is thicker than window mesh.

I ended up taking it back out and cutting each piece to fit. It looks ok, but I need to work on it alittle.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
That looks great Phil, did you have any problems getting the insert back in, because I assume that the fencing material is thicker than window mesh.

I don't recall having any problem doing this project. The grill just snapped back in and there was no change due to the fencing material.