HOW TO: Front seat extension brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
I made some front seat extension brackets because I'm tall and the Liberty leg room stinks. I made the front brackets a 1/2" thick to give the seat a little more rake to it. For mounting hardware you'll need 4 - 1/2" x 1 1/2" bolts with nylon locking nuts(at least that's what I used). Here is a drawing of dimensions for the brackets. Let me know if I need to add anything else to this!

You must be registered for see images attach

This pic shows why I had to make them with a 3" extension. You can see if it was much shorter the stud would hit the seat bracket. This is only on the left rear. The other mounting points use bolts.

You must be registered for see images attach

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a safety additive. The bolts you use should be of a high grade.. I'm thinking like grade 5 or even an 8.

Just a thought so someone doesn't do this with any ol' bolt they find in their toolbox.
Although Grade 2 bolts at this diameter seem adequate, I don't think the grade 5 bolts are much more money for WAY better safety.

Grade 2 Bolts of 1-1/2" diameter (breaking strengths)
Shear (cross ways) at 9700 lbs
Tensile (end to end) at 7700 lbs

Grade 5 Bolts of 1" diameter (breaking strengths) 1" is best data I could find 1.5" will be WAY greater
Shear (cross ways) at 58900 lbs
Tensile (end to end) at 75968 lbs

Grade 8 Bolts of 1" diameter (breaking strengths) 1" is best data I could find 1.5" will be WAY greater
Shear (cross ways) at 71500 lbs
Tensile (end to end) at 94961 lbs

Last edited:

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
I didn't mention that, but a very good point. I used grade 5 on this, that's just what the ace hardware here had.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to LOWER the seats ? There is a ton of room under there and I would love to be able to lower the driver's seat to gain headroom because I'm a tall SOB lol. Thoughts?

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the opposite side....I think the seats are a bit too tall...but I'm a short guy...5'6"

There is a mile under the seats...I wish they were comfy and low like my Eclipse GSX

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan: I am thinking about it. Hardest part will be finding a good drill at my parents house to use (I don't have one yet and wouldn't use one enough to warrant the cost)

Rage: To lower you can cut out an inch or so our of the middle of the bracket (haven't looked at brackets specifically yet to figure out how much can be removed) and weld it back together with some reinforcing plates welded in just for that extra bit of peace of mind.

Zero: see above :p

Latest posts

Members online