How to fix window regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jompigrande

Reaction score
first at all excuseme for my very bad english.....
As you may know windows goes down on the worst moment, there is a piece with a wrong factory design that simply breaks, so you can buy http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP13005, or here in mexico there is another replacement part that its very cheap and fix the problem forever too:
You must be registered for see images attach

Needed tools:

* Couple of screwdrivers
* wrench
* grease
* paper towel and windex
* swiss army knife

First at all remove this two screws:

Now remove the pannel with the help of a flat screwdriver:

go without fear, you will here a noise when the clips opens

Detach door lock handle wire and rear view mirrors regulartor cables

take apart speaker (3 screws)

now its time to take apart the door plastic cover, that its glued with a kind of black gum that you must take care that not get dust so you can reuse it:

now you have the door ready to work:

you need to detach all screws from motor and rail:

open this clip:

detach the motor connector:

take apart the clips that holds the support to the window:

Now you may take aparte first the rail, and then the motor:

thats it, the whole system out:

now you may take aparte the broken piece, to do it you may bend this two tabs that holds this piece:

this is an image from the old one and the replacement:

screw the regulator wire to the new piece:

now run the tutorial in backwards to assemble it again, thats all, hope that this guide help someone else.
Regards, jose!

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent writeup, I just did this on the rear and the only difference was that the regulator was squeezed through a much smaller hole.

mwooldri

Reaction score
Thanks :) - wish I had seen this way earlier on - dealership left my wallet $350 lighter back in early 2011 with a broken window regulator. This time around when it broke I got the part from ebay and fixed it just as described above. Wallet only $30 lighter.

Also when window regulator does break forget duct tape. Carry a phillips screwdriver around, pop open the door panel, and tie the window up with a bootlace. The duct tape solution only holds the window up for so long and you have to re-apply the tape. Bootlace holds the window up better.

nate

Reaction score
I wanted to thank you for a great write up and some great pictures to assist in the procedure of tearing this thing apart. I did want to add an alternative method for cheap people like myself. I spent 3.75 fixing this today, and I am extremely confident it will outlast the motor.

I started out with a box of cotter pins this is where the 3.75 comes in. If you have some laying around this could potentially be a free fix.

On the end of the regulator cable thing you can see I wrapped the cotter pins around the cable making sure they were laying below the level of the spring. I also went over the end of the cable with a wire brush to get all of that fuzzy stuff off. Just the last inch or so.

Test fitting the pins on the cable to make sure there is no binding and that it slides smoothly. If it binds use smaller pins or compress the pins better so they aren't sticking out above the spring around the cable.

Laying the cable against the assembly to mark where to drill the holes for the pins.

A picture of the block where the holes were drilled through. I drilled holes straight down through in that square portion that was previously laying under the cable.

Pushed the cotter pins through the newly created holes and bent them out as far as possible using a screwdriver.

Reverse side after cotter pins are bent into position. I ended up breaking off that bottom piece of plastic because it was causing the assembly to bind up slightly.

Everything reassembled and ready to go back into the jeep.

Nathaniel

Reaction score
Hey there guys, my window regulator went bad about a year or so ago.. ordered the part from a site.. got it a week later, cost about $30. not too bad.. Fixed it, it was a pain being my first time taking the door apart and all.. but not for some reason.. the little round node that fits into the backet at the bottom of the window keeps bending upwards and pops the window out of of the track this the the third time this has happened.. anyone have any idea why? i havent needed to roll the back windows down for a while now because its winter here.. but now that its starting to warm up a bit, i want to roll them down.. but now i cant.. its popped once more.. because that node keeps bending.. and it is a pain in the ass trying to bend it back... im scared that i might break the window.. anyone have any ideas on what might work to keep that node in place? Or if i should just take it to a dealer and have them just fix it.. because its getting to the point where i cant take it anymore.. i just want this problem fixed.

Mr. Bacconn

Reaction score
my front driver side window is having issues. it likes to work when It wants to but I have noticed when I do get it to work the moment I hit a bump the window will do nothing and if I bang on the door a little bit the window will work again. thinking there might be a short but not sure where or how to find the short. I like to ride some trails around my house and they are very bumpy so I don't want to get caught with my window down in the rain... any suggestions?????