HOW TO: Fabricate Custom Grill Inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

admonster01

Reaction score
Hello all!

I decided to make chrome grill inserts for my new Liberty. Last Saturday I bought an '07 Sport Latitude 4x4 in Black. I just might make some for my wife's '06 Limited too....

There are 7 grills to be make for the '07- I don't know about other years but assume all of the grills are the same.

Each insert measures 9" long by 3.5" wide. The four corners are actually rounded, a half circle.

I bought galvanized stainless steel gutter guards at Lowe's, a package of 5 sheets 36" long and about 5" wide. The package was just under $7 so a good deal.

On a piece of thick paper layout a box 9x3.5. For the corners use a medium to small glass and trace the curve for the corners.

Tape the edges of the template for stability and to keep straight edges. Layout a sheet of the material and trace the outline using a medium sized sharpie marker.

Simply cut out the shape using tin snips or cutting shears and VOLIA! Custom grill inserts! I used my wife's rolling pin to flatten any burs and finished up with a file to smooth out the edges. I personally like the idea of making my own custom part.

It takes about an hour to cut out and trim the 7 inserts. You may have a little fine tuning of the edges once you are done.

Looking forward to putting mine on once the temperature reached zero here. Good luck!

admonster01

Reaction score
Grille Inserts

No pictures yet- been to !*&$^@$# cold here. I'll try and get some for you this weekend. Plan on making two sets if you are seeking perfection!

LONEPINERON

Reaction score
LATH WIRE

I made some fore my f350 and ranger out of Lath wire came out pretty cool I'll see if I can get pictures in the am and try to post them.[/img]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made some of these yesterday and installed them this morning. I bought the same gutter guards, 6.97 at Lowes, cut them to 3 1/2"x 9 3/4", sanded, primed, and painted them black. After drying over night I installed them behind the grill using black zip ties.

You must be registered for see images

Took the grill of (4 torx screws) and it only took about 30 min's to install. A simple and cheap mod!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get the grill off? Is it the same for my 06 Sport?

Open your hood, look on the top, there should be two torex screws on the front above the radiator, ane one above each headlight. Just remove them and then bottom has some 'hooks' on the bottom of the grill.

I found on LOST that the newer grill ('05-'07) is only clipped on. There is a large tab over the main headlight and about four smaller ones down the middle. Just lift up on them and pull forward.

Then pull the top of the grill forward and 'jiggle' the bottom till the 'hooks' dis-engage. Then pull the grill out. Becareful not to break off the plastic hooks!

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great right up, but I have one question. Has anyone every fabricated inserts to fit in front of the stock grille billets? I think I would like that look better, but I'm not fully confident to fabricate them yet.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open your hood, look on the top, there should be two torex screws on the front above the radiator, ane one above each headlight. Just remove them and then bottom has some 'hooks' on the bottom of the grill.

I found on LOST that the newer grill ('05-'07) is only clipped on. There is a large tab over the main headlight and about four smaller ones down the middle. Just lift up on them and pull forward.

Then pull the top of the grill forward and 'jiggle' the bottom till the 'hooks' dis-engage. Then pull the grill out. Becareful not to break off the plastic hooks!

true. my 06 is 4 clips all the way across. the clips are actually made as an extension of the grill itself. same piece. just dont break them off.

leerdmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my inserts in today

It came out great, (I think). The measurements came out at 9.5" X 3.45". I used the same gutter guards from Lowes, But I got the anodized aluminum ones. A little more $, about $9, but the higher polish matches the Chrome on my Limited a little better. They are mounted in front of the plastic ribs, and secured with light wire. Thanks for all the info. I wouldn't have attempted this without seeing it here. I have only had my Libby for a week, so I will be seeking a lot more advice on mods. Next, I am building a roof rack.