HOW TO: Fabricate and install budget light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATED-- Status Complete

Hey everybody. I have all the materials, and will be attempting to make my own light bar for under 100$.
WELL ITS DONE!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ .

TOTAL COST:46.87$$
40" hanger rack: 11.49
Flat pl. slot: 5.88
U-bolts x 2 : 1.96
Extra wire x2: 7.00
Flex tubing: .99
Halogen lightsx4:19.55

I finished when it was dark so no good pictures to show how everything went together. For now pictures of them light up.

You must be registered for see images

All thats left to do, is to adjust the lights, and find an area in the cab for the switches to go. I also need to trim some of the excess stuff i used to secure the Light bar to the roof rack.

Ok here goes...

Step 1: First step i did was too get both the hanger bar rack (the grey piece) and the Flat metal piece "( the piece with holes every 1inch) centered. I then used 3 bolts to secure the flat metal piece to the underside of the hanger rack. as seen here.

Heres one of the bolts to secure the metal piece with the holes to the underside.-

Step:2 Next, Mark and drill the holes for your lights. Since the Hanger rack was 40 inches long, i decided to put my lights 10 inches apart. Drilling the holes was probably one of the most difficult parts of this project. After the holes are drilled, bolt on your lights-- just hand tightening will work for now.

Step 3: Next step is to get that baby up on our roof. Its your choice how far up on your roof rack to attach it. I chose to get it as close as i could to the front of the Roof rack. IMPORTANT. MAKE SURE IT IS CENTERED. If its not centered it will look pretty goofy.

Step 4: Using your two U-BOLTS secure it to your Roof rack. You may run into some difficulties at this point. If you lucky, the Holes on the Flat metal strip will line up with your roof rack. If not, like me you will need to drill, or enlarge the existing holes to make room for the bolts. Seen here--

Step 5: Now that the the bar is on your Jeep, you can tighten the bolts down. To take care of the excess Metal piece with holes, you can either hacksaw it off, or bend it down like i did.

Step 6: Wiring. Wiring was fairly complicated. Sorry no real good pics of the wiring process. But to wire everything together, i used extra accessory wire to hardwire it directly to my battery, and to get the switches to reach my cab. Basically i used the "Bennett style of wiring" going through the plastic pieces down the front of my windshield channle.
seen here is a picture of the switches in my Cab.---

Step 7: Last step is to tighten all the bolts, and make sure to adjust your lights so they are shining all over the place. Also to make it more presentable, and weatherproof, i used some 99 cent wire cover to put over the wire.--

Step 8: Enjoy. Its up to you to decide where you want to put your switches.. I still havent placed them yet. For now heres a day time finished picture.. ---

- if you have any extra questions just ask.. \:D/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to it. I asked around on LOST but no response so far. :) I wanted to get a light bar on a cross stick without any other material, just slap on.

Good luck.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
TOTAL COST:46.87$$ =D>

Great job!

It looks great also, i hope they are secure enough.
I hope you took pictures along the way. [-o<

I think this won't work for me, because I go through car way here with the brushes, and it would suck if any one got stuck in the rags..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm so doing this. This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time now.

This may turn into tomorrow's project...

Where can I find this stuff to make a similar bar?

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of these parts were bought at Home depot, but im sure you can find them at any hardware store.

The gray metal bar, was in the shelving section comes in 40" inch lengths and then like 8 footers.

The metal strip with holes should be in the sheet metal section make sure its 48" inches long.
U-bolts and other bolts in the hardware section.

And the accessory wire was in electrical.

For the halogen lights I got them at a store called Harbor freight. They sell tools and other things at great prices, but im sure any light could work with this.

One thing i would like to add, is a little piece of ruber to go where the u-bolts are so i dont mess up my roof rack that much.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've got another idea though, based on yours, but I'm not sure if it will work... :-s

Update: Got supplies. However it's getting dark! Dangit! Stupid bank website!

that and I didn't get any lights yet either. That will have to wait a bit longer. I won't finish until next weekend. Personally I don't really like Harbor Freight. (Some) of their stuff is dirt cheap for a reason.

Update #2: My U-Bolts aren't long enough. ](*,)

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Personally I don't really like Harbor Freight. (Some) of their stuff is dirt cheap for a reason.
](*,)
I know what you mean. These lights are pretty good, about as bright as my bright lights are. I also chose them, cause i didnt want to buy something super expensive, and have it not work.

Heh yea i had that same problem with my U-bolts. If your roof rack is the base model, a 2"inch U-bolt should work.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks real nice. The only change I can think of that I might try is to run the wiring harness under the bar and drill some holes to run them up to the lights.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
Looks real nice. The only change I can think of that I might try is to run the wiring harness under the bar and drill some holes to run them up to the lights.

That's exactly my plan.

I have an actual "bar" which I am currently painting a "textured" silver. This is going to be interesting.

I never thought of using U-Bolts previously though!

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Corwyyn said:

That's exactly my plan.

I have an actual "bar" which I am currently painting a "textured" silver. This is going to be interesting.

I never thought of using U-Bolts previously though!

Did you finish this project?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the hanger bar? i went up to the hardware store and asked for it but they had no clue of what a hanger bar is? what did you others use? BLS WA Chapter SDMF what did you use yours looks good and the same?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You guys won't believe it, but after 2 months I finally did mine. Pics tomorrow, but I only used 2 lights... for now. My lights are round however.

I'm not entirely finished, but

Lights: $19.99
PVC Pipe: $4
U Bolts: $1x2
Wire Covers: $0.99
Paint: $5

Total cost would be about the same... mine is more expensive because I used paint on the pipe. truth be told I may use the other half of the pipe because I sort of screwed up this side painting it. It's not over yet...