How To - Door chime delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I had searched and found that there was no information on how to delete the door chime. All I came up with was to close the latch or pull the key out one notch.

Now, it is the same chime for the TPMS alert also. Which would constantly yell at me for low pressure. I run 33 PSI and on cold mornings it would drive me nuts. I check my pressures as anyone should and personally have no desire for the TPMS.

That being said, I found the chime and removed it. No more chime!! :D :D

Disclaimer, Do at your own risk if you so choose. I do not know if all KJ,s are the same. Verify the chime for yourself. I used electrical tape to cover the hole on the front and plugged the cluster back in and heard the chime muffled. Removed the tape and chime volume returned to normal.

The chime is part of the gauge (instrument) cluster. I wont go into the details on how to remove the cluster, as it's posted and can be easily found with a search. I did.

The basics are (in order):
1) Remove A post covers
2) Remove top dash panel (speaker grilles/defrost)
3) Remove cluster trim
4) Remove cluster

Once the cluster is out, remove the 18 T15 Torx screws from the back. The 6 short ones are on the outer edges.

You must be registered for see images

Lift the back cover off and set aside. Carefully lift the chip board and gauges out of the front cover. On the top left side above the speedo (viewed from the back side), soldered to the chip board is the chime.

There are two pins soldered through the board. I used a small flat screwdriver to gently pry the chime from the board while heating the top pin with a soldering iron on the back side. Once it was about 3/4 out, the bottom pin broke from the chime. Less work for me.

Replace board and gauges back into front cover. Replace the rear cover. Screw in screws (short on outside) Reinstall into vehicle. Enjoy a chime free Jeep.

I did this a few days ago and have NO adverse effects from it, only chimeless. :D

Maybe this will help someone, maybe not, but figured I'd put the info out there.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It only took one trip under the dash without tools to get rid of key, seat belt, and other dings and buzzes. I miss that.

I remember my boss's racy Nissan that would tell you, "Your door is a jar.". It could be turned off.

Congratulations on your successfull ding-ectomy!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.