how to do touch up properly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a pretty bad chip and im starting to see rust coming through, so far i have the dupli color primer filler touch up, mopar color matched touch up and duplicolor clear touch up...at my work we have a fiberglass tip pen for removing the rust and bubbled paint in the chip but idk exactly how i should go about repairing this should i clean the chip with a fiberglass pen the do spot putty or primer/filler then touch up or what??? or if any1 has a good link to touch up how to that would be appreciated too...hears a picture of the scratch:

Attachments

• 0912001830.jpg
    0912001830.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 38

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a professional by any means and if I am wrong I hope someone will correct me, but..

You want to get the rust off and maybe give it a quick shot of primer. Once that dries you can apply some of your touch up paint and once it dries give it a nice wet sanding and then buff it to a shine.

Actually found a good link on autopia link

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know the basics of it and thanks for the link to the how to but im more or less wondering how in depth i should go as fas as prepping the chip for touch up paint

deekny

Reaction score
what i have done in the past for deep scratches is to put paint on the damaged spot then sand it until it's flat. i used the small bottles of paint from www.touchuppaintonline.com and i also got clearcoat from them, it matched very well. if you use clearcoat, they told me to leave it alone for a month before buffing/waxing since the clearcoat stays soft for a long time.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to remove the paint bubles and the rust from the location and then use the touch-up primer as a base. After that, you will be able to apply your color. That should take care of the area.

ekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a rusty spot where someone keyed my door. I scraped the paint around it until I got to clean metal (which was about the size of a quarter) and sanded the rust off. I cut a hole in a sheet of paper, placed it over the bare spot, and sprayed Rustoleum self-etching primer. After it dried, I applied the Mopar touch-up paint.

I can definitely notice the fixed spot from close because I know where it was, but others cannot see it.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far ive got the spot cleaned up primed and a few coats of color on the area....the countour of the chip is still visible so should i wetsand to level out the area before applying more color to fill the chip a bit more before i clearcoat and buff?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far ive got the spot cleaned up primed and a few coats of color on the area....the countour of the chip is still visible so should i wetsand to level out the area before applying more color to fill the chip a bit more before i clearcoat and buff?
No, keep applying color until the level of the color in the chip is just slightly below the clear coat level. Then, add your clear to the chip until it is slightly above the clear coat level. Then you need to wetsand and polish.

Here are a couple of articles on it...
http://www.autopia.org/forum/content/advanced-scratch-repair-133/
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/10419-heavy-scratch-repair-exterior-detail-very-long-post-not-56k-friendly.html

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks...the autogeek write up was excellent....but even if i get some of the touch up color on the undamaged area i should not wetsand before clear coating?

n3tninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
67customs has a good way of going about it. I used to do mobile paint repair on car lots for a few years while in school. What we used for rock chips was lightly sanding any rust in the chip then applying a small amount of primer. The next step is up to you, but for most cars we would mix a small bottle of single stage car paint, thinner, and about a few drops of wet look hardener. Since you already have the paint and clear instead, I would just apply the paint first to just under the line and then thin some clear coat and fill the chip just over the level of the chip. The idea of thinning the clear is as the thinner dries it actually levels out a bit. After it dries, I used a rubbing compound called clean cut which is a very fine grit compound and just buff the spot out by hand feeling it until it is level, and no wet sanding required.

Also, don't use a brush to apply the paint and clear. I used syringes to apply paint to the chips. Maybe you know someone who has to take insulin who would give you one as it's a big pack to buy at the drug store although they are pretty cheap. Once you have one, use some needle nose pliers on the tip and wiggle back and forth to break off the tip and safely dispose of it. This keeps you from accidentally injecting yourself with paint. :) After you do that, suck just a small amount of the thinned paint or clear into the syringe (a little goes a long way) and then apply it to the chip. I find it's easier to hold it like a pencil with the plunger pressed against the meat of your hand to control the flow. Practice on some paper, wood, or something to get used to the flow. It definitely makes filling chips easier and with practice I was doing entire cars in 30mins.

For bigger sections where filling isn't an option, just sand around the chip with fine grit sandpaper to feather out the edges (you should be able to see all the layers kind of looking like wood grain), mask off the area, spray a light coat of primer and sand smooth then apply your paint and clear, but just as soon as you are done with your clear coat, dump what is left in the cup but don't clean it out and instead fill the cup with dupont chroma clear blender, remove the masking from the area and spray from the edges of where you sprayed the clear coat with long sweeps out to the body around the masked off area. What this does is level out the clear and blend it in with the rest of the clear coat on the body. Most of the time, after it dries you won't even need to do any buffing or sanding.

n3tninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, if you guys have any questions I can help. Also I'll see if I can dig up my docs and will post them up here. I had some for mixing different types of touch up paints, and also mixing guides for painting in different temperatures and humidity, also different ways of painting and doing touchups.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks...the autogeek write up was excellent....but even if i get some of the touch up color on the undamaged area i should not wetsand before clear coating?
No. I never even use clear when I do chip repair, but as long as you get some clear in the chip, you are going to be good to go. The color and clear that get on the undamaged area is going to be wetsanded off anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.