How to: Dash disassemble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Ok every one... I got bored on Sunday and thought I should do some exploring. It is one of my goals to create a in depth How To section as there is for the kj. If you have a how to please submit it so we can build the knowledge base

First, Pop the two retaining clips for the lower kick panel by using either a flat head screwdriver or a panel removal tool such as this one
You must be registered for see images attach

Next, grasp and pull the panel towards you to unlock it out of its track. This uses the same track system as the glove box

Next, use your prying tool and pop the trim piece that faces the door. Once that is done, pull the panel toward the rear of the vehicle to get it out from behind the rubber door seal.

Now move your attention to the radio dash bezel. Carefulley, apply slight pressure on the underside of each of the carbon fiber looking strips. Next move down to about the radio face and use your tool to pry out the bezel on both sides.

At this point, you can turn back to the IC bezel

First start by working your fingers or pry tool behind the a pillar trim. Be careful as the side curtain air bags and radio antenna are behind this trim

Move over towards the HVAC defroster trim. Once the two clips are dislodged, pull the trim towards you to pull the tab out of the main dash bezel. This piece is removed by popping up the front face and then pushing the trim toward the window and pulling up.

Now, adjust the steering wheel all the way down and and grasp the under side of the gauage bezel buy your knees and pull up. There are 4 clips in total and then the plastic clips things that hold the top part of the bezel to the dash.

Remove the screw that is attached to the dash bezel by the speaker. Best thing to use is a 9/32" socket and a 1/4" drive ratchet. After this, just grasp the dash peice and pull up to remove it.

At this point, now all that is left is the 4 screws that hold the Instrument cluster in place

there are 4 electrical connection to the back of the dash head.

Slots A,B,C are used on my dash head

Installation is just the reverse

Should you have any more questions just let me know.

Next to come, FRONT GRILL AND HEAD LIGHT REMOVAL

d0eb0y

Reaction score
YOU ARE AWESOME!! One of my tweeters are blown or something and i was trying to figure out how to get in there to replace them. And i am also having issues with my AM/FM reception (3 different radios) so i was always wondering where the ANT wire ran so i could check it out and see if its crimped or loose somewhere. And u mentioned that it runs in the pillar so thats a starting point. Do you know of anyplace where it may connect to a different wire or anything that i may want to check? Thank you soo much for this post tho,,,,very very informative!

EDIT: i can see an area in the pillar where the antenna wire plugs into an adapter or sme sort,,,i hope to god that is where my am/fm problem is coming from...it may need to be pushed in or something...please please please,,,lolll,,,ty ty ty ty

Last edited:

isomswim

Reaction score
This is a great tutorial. This has always been my first task in just about every vehicle I've owned. Going to hope fully get a Dash speaker HOW TO in to compliment this one.

wihuis

Reaction score
hi, thanks for the post, excuse me, could you tell me where is located the chime bell/buzzer (i think it is on the rear of the instrument cluster), thank you

Edukk

Reaction score
hi, awsome info. Has any of you found a videotutorial about this? im havinf torubles with my cluster, no mileage no gear indicator, not a los of the dash lights work..