HOW TO: Create and Install an Overhead XM/Sirius Radio Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

After taking a look at the various mounts for the Liberty and deciding I didn't like any of them I took a crack at making an overhead mount for my XM Roady receiver.

Tools/Items Needed:

- Sheet of Aluminum, wide enough to mount the Roady/receiver bracket and about 2' long - not too thick since you are going to bend it into a bracket.
- Tin Cutter/Dremel to cut the sheet into a long strip
- Sandpaper/metal file to smooth the cut edge
- Drill to drill out holes to mount the receiver bracket
- (For the Roady bracket) 4 1/2" 8-32 machine bolts, nuts and washers
- Pair of pliers to help bend the aluminum bracket to shape
- some strips of double sided adhesive (or you could drill and bolt this to the frame above the headliner if you want)

1. First cut the aluminum sheet into a long strip, wide enough to take the receiver bracket with a little extra width.
2. Sand/file the cut edge to make it nice, straight and remove the sharp edge.
3. Pull down the overhead maplight assembly, I carefully insert a flathead screwdriver and work the clip on one side out then pull the other clip on the opposite side out.
4. Take the strip and insert it into the area between the headliner and the metal frame (watch out for the cabling in the area, make sure to put the strip below the cables), take note of how far the strip goes in - usually about 8-9". With the strip fully inserted, put a U bend into the strip where the maplight hole is, then carefully, PARTIALLY reinsert the maplight assembly - no need to fully reengage the clips right now since you are going to have to pull it out again. Bend the strip where it comes out from under the maplight. You will have a shape similar to this:

(note the second bend will be shorter than the 1st but my ASCII drawing just isn\'t working out)

Ok, pull out the bracket and break out the drill, get the Roady/receiver mounting bracket and line it up to drill the holes to mount it to along the last segment. After you drill the holes remove any excess aluminum strip below that point and file it smooth so the edge isn\'t sharp.

Mount the receiver mounting bracket to the aluminum bracket using the appropriate nuts, washers and bolts, then fit the aluminum bracket inbetween the headliner and the metal and make sure the bends are what you want and fit well. Mount the receiver to the bracket and adjust to your preference. Remember not to go too low since it might interfere with your rear view mirror!

Once you get a good fit, remove the bracket again - place 2 strips of double sided tape on the end that is going to be between the headliner and the metal frame. Attach the tape to the metal frame to help brace the aluminum bracket (this is just to relieve some of the weight so it doesn't all rest against your headliner and maplight mount).

Run the receiver wiring up the A pillar and under the headliner and drop it through the maplight hole, replace the maplight mount and mount the receiver on the bracket.

Your done!

Cost - about $5 (or less) for an aluminum sheet and about an hour

Photos coming soon - need to run my wires (and find a way to extend my power cord so its long enough to run from my power outlet under the passenger side/glovebox, up the A pillar and across the headliner).

George

G

Ok here come the pics:

First, the end product -

From the side:

You must be registered for see images

From the front:

I decided to use the ball mount that came with the Roady so I\'m going to bend the bracket out more so its closer to the front window to make up for the extra space used by the different mount. I originally was going to directly mount it on the Roady mount.

Some photos during fabrication/install:

Ok its my first shot at making a bracket so it looks a bit rough but all the edges are smooth and it fits well.

George

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grinch stole them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
hide and seek

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOOOO i want my money back, boo him off the stage!!! need pics !!! :D j/k

Update: who's him? i dont even see a user that posted the thread.... very funky... maybe he was boo'ed off the stage afterall =( I was only kiddin... or maybe he left to go find the photos? :D

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c'mon guys, use your imagination. picture it all in your head. lol.

Did something very similar, but just using the provided L bracket from the Sirius. Held in place by heavy duty 2 sided tape.

later, mike

Latest posts

Members online