How to convert from 2x4 to 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alen

Reaction score
So I have a 2006 Liberty 65yr edition and it’s rear wheel drive and I want to convert to 4x4. The transfer case I’m going to be using will be the NV242 which has a position sensor and output sensor. My KJ has all the attachment spots for the front carrier and the transfer case only needs an adapter to attach to stock transmission which is a 42RLE. My question is do I have to replace the whole harness and computer or can I just live without it or can I take the output sensor connector from the end of the ****** and connect it to the transfer case???

BlackBetty

Reaction score
So I have a 2006 Liberty 65yr edition and it’s rear wheel drive and I want to convert to 4x4. The transfer case I’m going to be using will be the NV242 which has a position sensor and output sensor. My KJ has all the attachment spots for the front carrier and the transfer case only needs an adapter to attach to stock transmission which is a 42RLE. My question is do I have to replace the whole harness and computer or can I just live without it or can I take the output sensor connector from the end of the ****** and connect it to the transfer case???

Hi Allen, I am looking to embark on a similar journey except I have an 04 Liberty and am going to be rocking a NV3500 trans mounted to the NP242 transfer case. I’ve got everything figured out except for the rear drive shaft length, due to the non-factory transmission, transfer case combination and for how to wire the spedo and position sensors. From what I’ve read, and I’ve read a lot on this topic lately, you can run a transfer case without plugging anything in. You’ll be missing out on dash lights indicating what mode the transfer case is in, and I believe that the air bag sensors are disabled when in 4lo. I haven't been able to find out what the transfer case speed sensor is for so I don't know what that reports or reports to. I have tead a lot of Jeep Liberty 4x4 conversion threads, but none of them cover wiring everything in. I am OCD about things like this, so I am determined to figure this out. I will be monitoring this thread and hopefully someone can help us out. My plan is to buy a wrecked Liberty the same year as mine that I can pull pretty much everything off of including the entire engine/ computer wiring if necessary. I am also looking into buying an online manual in the hopes that it will show transfer case wiring and where it goes.

Alen

Reaction score
Hi Allen, I am looking to embark on a similar journey except I have an 04 Liberty and am going to be rocking a NV3500 trans mounted to the NP242 transfer case. I’ve got everything figured out except for the rear drive shaft length, due to the non-factory transmission, transfer case combination and for how to wire the spedo and position sensors. From what I’ve read, and I’ve read a lot on this topic lately, you can run a transfer case without plugging anything in. You’ll be missing out on dash lights indicating what mode the transfer case is in, and I believe that the air bag sensors are disabled when in 4lo. I haven't been able to find out what the transfer case speed sensor is for so I don't know what that reports or reports to. I have tead a lot of Jeep Liberty 4x4 conversion threads, but none of them cover wiring everything in. I am OCD about things like this, so I am determined to figure this out. I will be monitoring this thread and hopefully someone can help us out. My plan is to buy a wrecked Liberty the same year as mine that I can pull pretty much everything off of including the entire engine/ computer wiring if necessary. I am also looking into buying an online manual in the hopes that it will show transfer case wiring and where it goes.

You can measure the driveshaft from the center of the u joints on each side and have it cut. Your correct on the position sensor part and you can run it without that. But I’m not sure on the output speed sensor because I’m thinking it’s going to throw off the actual speed of the vehicle?

BlackBetty

Reaction score
You can measure the driveshaft from the center of the u joints on each side and have it cut. Your correct on the position sensor part and you can run it without that. But I’m not sure on the output speed sensor because I’m thinking it’s going to throw off the actual speed of the vehicle?

So I know there is a sensor on the rear differential for speed, but I don’t know how that works with the transmission sensor and transfer case sensor. In other words, speed is understood by the computer without the transfer case; so the question is what changes when a transfer case is present.

Thanks for the info on the drive shaft. I’m going to try the rear drive shaft from a 4x4 manual trans Liberty to see if visually it is too long or short and then take a measurement from the output at the transfer case and the the rear diff perhaps. Like I mentioned before, I am making this difficult for myself by putting together components that were never an option.

Alen

Reaction score
So I know there is a sensor on the rear differential for speed, but I don’t know how that works with the transmission sensor and transfer case sensor. In other words, speed is understood by the computer without the transfer case; so the question is what changes when a transfer case is present.

Thanks for the info on the drive shaft. I’m going to try the rear drive shaft from a 4x4 manual trans Liberty to see if visually it is too long or short and then take a measurement from the output at the transfer case and the the rear diff perhaps. Like I mentioned before, I am making this difficult for myself by putting together components that were never an option.

I’m guessing that it changes the gear ratio which might throw off your computer because you added more gears but your still shoving in the same power to now push all 4 wheels. I’m not sure about the sensor on the rear diff that’s a first for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LMAO, oh my

well to start there is no " speed sensor " on the rear diff of the 06-07s
Need to really start reading how this works

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m guessing that it changes the gear ratio which might throw off your computer because you added more gears but your still shoving in the same power to now push all 4 wheels. I’m not sure about the sensor on the rear diff that’s a first for me.
Please go back to square one and start again, not being a jerk but you are confusing model years and how everything works.
Have you ever owned a real 4x4 ?

Alen

Reaction score
Please go back to square one and start again, not being a jerk but you are confusing model years and how everything works.
Have you ever owned a real 4x4 ?

NO I’m into old school cars I have a 69 el Camino and this is my first Jeep and I’m not the greatest when it comes to messing with the wiring on newer cars. If you know how to make it work any advice is welcomed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Best bet is to find a KJ the same year as yours, buy the whole thing , and then you'll have all the parts and pieces you need to make it work.
Years ago we'd take a 2 wheel drive Cherokee and add 4x4 in an afternoon, more complicated now making everything work especially with the 06 and 07 models

69 Elky is not old school in my book, that was a pretty new car when I graduated high school LOL

what lift did you install?

Alen

Reaction score
Best bet is to find a KJ the same year as yours, buy the whole thing , and then you'll have all the parts and pieces you need to make it work.
Years ago we'd take a 2 wheel drive Cherokee and add 4x4 in an afternoon, more complicated now making everything work especially with the 06 and 07 models

69 Elky is not old school in my book, that was a pretty new car when I graduated high school LOL

what lift did you install?

Well I’m about to be 24 so it’s wayyy older than me lmao. And it’s the Daystar 2.5” lift. I have all of the parts now thanks to two hours of driving to a junkyard. And other parts like axles, transfer case and carrier from some shop. I got everything pretty cheap so it worked out for me but I’m still trying to figure out how to install the nvg242. The car that I took the parts off of is a 2005 4x4 which uses the npg231j transfer case. If anyone has any actual suggestions on how to convert I’m listening.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Daystar, worst way to go for a lift, so sad

Actual suggestions, guess mine was chopped liver, never mind then

What I suggested still goes, lots of small parts you more than likely do not have, well since we don't know what you have really except for a transfer case

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online