How to connect a brake controller to the factory harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Liberty with the factory tow package. As I understand it, when I connect the 7 pin plug of my camper to the factory 7 pin connection on my Liberty I should be able to use a brake controller to work the brakes of my camper. I have looked at several brake controllers and it seems that it should be pretty straight forward as to how to connect it's wires to the wiring of my Liberty. However, I can't find any instructions anywhere!

I have been told if I pull up the front carpet on the drivers side there will be a specific wire there that the controller is to be connected to that goes to the 7 pin connector and is for the brakes. I've looked under the carpet and there is no wire that is marked to be connected to a brake controller that I can see. A guy at an off road shop told me it would be a blue wire but I have no idea and I don't know if he really knows what he's talking about.

A local camping center said they could hook up a controller for me for $200 plus the cost of the controller. To me that ridiculous if I can simply get directions and do it myself.

Does anyone here know how to do this or know of a place online with directions? Thanks a bunch for any help!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
There IS a blue wire tucked, (I think I remember), under the plastic panel to the left of the driver's left foot. It has a tag stuck on it that says " trailer wiring" or something similar. I had to bring power from the battery into the cabin to run the controller. Use a hanger wire to poke a hole in the big rubber grommet that protects the wiring going through the firewall left of the drivers knee. Then hook your new power wire to the hanger wire, tape it up smooth so it backfeeds through the grommet. The plastic panel under the steering wheel in front of the driver's knees pivots downward after you pry the top loose, 2 hidden clips on top... That's where I mounted the circuit breaker & wiring. The controller went in the little cubby under the heater controls where nothing fit anyway.

Maybe I can make pictures happen but it's a BIG MAYBE.

I found all this on the web somewhere prettyeasy but it's not in the booklet or factory manual except for the wire on a wiring schematic. Very well hidden wire... no user serviceable parts inside and so on.

Hope this helps.

ranger

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for that! It may be a few days until I can look but I will use your info to help as I look again. Photos would be awesome if you're able to do that. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Well I took bad photos but I don't know how to get them here. You can see the rubber grommet I mentioned under the hood behind and below the vaccuum brake booster toward the fender. Inside access is with the previously mentioned plastic panel in front of the driver's knees flipped down, high and left. I vaguely remember the screw at the front of the plastic step plate has to be removed to release the plastic panel to the left of driver's left foot. Therin lies the secretive blue wire of your trailering dreams.

Hope this helps. Sorry I'm so technically inept that I can't post pictures.

Just noticed you're working on a 2010. Mine is a 2005. I might be wrong but I'm thinking any differences are in the sheet metal. Same Jeep underneath. Mine came with the tow package; same secret blue wire.

Good luck! I'll fiddle around a bit with the pictures but don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^Use photobucket.com...account is free and lots of storage with account...pics are sized just right to use here with the Add Image function...

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Thanks twowings I'll give it a try later. I was born OK but now I'm AKK... snort... phthht as Bill the Cat might say.

ranger

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I expect you're right about the wiring being very similar under the skin. I have some time off from work coming up over the July 4th holiday so I think that's when I'll try removing that panel and see what I can find. If I can locate the wire I'm gonna leave that panel off until I can pick up a brake controller and then wire it up.

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Flunked photobucket. They don't know me. I must not be who I think I am. All this internet would be so cool if it worked at all. Sick of emails torn up as I write them, disconnected calls, and things that pretend I'm not me. Must walk dog.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
trying photos. Underhood shot shows my three added wires running along harness toward firewall. Only one is needed for the trailer brake; The other two are for my ham radio installation.

Attachments

• IMG_20150624_172051_904.jpg
    IMG_20150624_172051_904.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20150624_171614_021.jpg
    IMG_20150624_171614_021.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20150624_171126_357.jpg
    IMG_20150624_171126_357.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20150624_171548_410.jpg
    IMG_20150624_171548_410.jpg