HOW TO: Change the Transfer Case Output Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: If you screw something up, it's your own fault. I'm neither a certified jeep mechanic or a jeep engineer. The goverment lets me take apart some expensive crap, but jeep ≠ aircraft.

Noticed a while back that my T-Case output shaft was leaking. After a bit of digging, i managed to get a seal on order from the local dealer (~$35ish).

Note: This will take some time, paitence, and clever screwdriver prying, and is generally not recomended for the faint of heart. Be carefull, and if your getting angry, back off, take a break, and don't mess things up.

Step 1: This is the assembley as it comes from the factory in a 2002 Limited with an NP242 T-Case. Others should be similar, but RTFM if your unsure.
You must be registered for see images

Cut the metal clamps off of the dust boot (I used 2 hose clamps to replace them). Unbolt the (2 each) retaining clips (Total of 4 bolts) from the rear U-Joint, and pop the driveshaft off of the slip yoke. The dust boot should pop off if you cut both clamps.

Now comes the fun part. The steel disc you can see pictured is a "slinger" according to the parts manual. It requires a special tool to install a new one, and is a single-use part. I VERY carefully used 2 screwdrivers to pry mine off. Note however, that it's clamped on there quite well, and will take a bit of effort to get off. DO NOT MARR THE SLIP YOKE WITH A SCREWDRIVER!!!!

Once you get the slinger out, you'll have something like this:

The seal is right there, sort of gold looking. That's the new one going in. To remove the old one, take a fine screwdriver or knife and carefully pry it out. Try not to marr the face of the transfer case in the process. Then carefully slide the new seal over the shaft and GENTLY tap it into place.

UBER-IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT TOUCH THE RUBBER OF THE NEW SEAL. YOUR FINGER OIL/GREASE ETC. WILL BREAK IT DOWN AND MAKE MONKEYS FLING POO AT YOUR JEEP! (seriously though, don't touch it)

Once the new seal is in place it's pretty simple to re-assemble. You can replace the slinger if you wish/can find the tool, or you can cheat like i did and put the dust boot on the exposed shaft and leave the slinger out. I've had no problems with about 6k so far, but if you can get it i would recomend it. Reinstall the driveshaft and clamp the boot down and your done!

Parts Breakdown: Seal is #32 & Slinger is #29

Pretty much steps 1-3 interest us. That's the puller if your curious.

That should cover it. Questions?

Latest posts

Members online