HOW TO: Change Spark Plugs : Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent video, Flair. Thanks. Wasn't sure what pieces I had to pull out before changing my plugs, now I know.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They shouldn't have buried the plugs so deep, look at what you have to go through just to get to them. But thanks for the video.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change the plugs in a KJ without removing any of that stuff,the coil packs is the only thing you need to pull out.Takes me about 25min to change my plugs and I don't need to remove anything.No worries about burning your hand on the coolant tank either since you need to change the plugs when the engine is cool otherwise you risk pulling the threads out of the cylinder heads.

There are worse vehicles for doing plug changes,some Ford vehicles you need to remove the intakes to change some of the plugs,and most foriegn cars need major disassembly to even get close to the plugs.Poeple get pissed off when they bring in a coupon for a $39.95 tune-up and we tell them it's going to be $400+(just labor) to just change the plugs alone,sorry I don't work for free.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt kn0w the threads could come out. wow. hopfully when my 06 needs a plug change ill have a new camera and i can redo the vid since the audio is choppy.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt kn0w the threads could come out. wow. hopfully when my 06 needs a plug change ill have a new camera and i can redo the vid since the audio is choppy.
Yep,with any vehicle with aluminum cylinder heads you want to change the plugs when the engine is cool.When hot/warm the heads expand more then the steel plugs,thus a tighter fit and you run the chance of pulling the plug threads right out of the head.It's a very good idea also to use a little anti-sieze to the plug threads since the aluninum heads and steel plugs can "fuse" together making it very hard to remove after some time.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change the plugs in a KJ without removing any of that stuff,the coil packs is the only thing you need to pull out.Takes me about 25min to change my plugs and I don't need to remove anything.No worries about burning your hand on the coolant tank either since you need to change the plugs when the engine is cool otherwise you risk pulling the threads out of the cylinder heads.

There are worse vehicles for doing plug changes,some Ford vehicles you need to remove the intakes to change some of the plugs,and most foriegn cars need major disassembly to even get close to the plugs.Poeple get pissed off when they bring in a coupon for a $39.95 tune-up and we tell them it's going to be $400+(just labor) to just change the plugs alone,sorry I don't work for free.
Yeah, try a hemi powered Ram. 16 spark plugs (twin plug heads) plus the heads are aluminum and all matter of ***** is in the way. Some people pull the brakes booster and master cylinder just to get to the last 2 cylinders on the driver's side. I can't even imagine what a nightmare it is for the hemi cars considering the tighter engine compartment.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice video flair! Cant believe those had 70k on it!

I didnt need to remove the intake or coolant tank but it makes it a lot easier.

Wouldnt be a bad idea to blow some air in there after you take the coil out too. I had some stuff that had gotten past the seal.

Also, they make special sockets just for spark plugs. They have some rubber inside of them to keep the spark plug in the socket but the tape idea works out great too. :) Sometimes that rubber can be annoying b/c the socket will come off the extension down in the engine once you put the new plug in. If you put some di-electric grease on the top of the new spark plug before putting the socket on it it should slip right off once you tighten the new plug.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, they make special sockets just for spark plugs. They have some rubber inside of them to keep the spark plug in the socket but the tape idea works out great too. :)

lol! my socket used to have that rubber in it but my tools are like 16 years old. i need new tools.:D

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
newer and better vid is up. not as boring and audio is fixed.