How often Do You Wash/Wax the Jeep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I Guess this could be a Poll but am curious how often your jeep gets washed?
Mine sits outside yet I only really get the hose out once a month. I may get a bit of soap out while it is raining in-between, or when birds attack.

So I only wash mine maybe 9 to 12 times a year.
Wax maybe twice a year, spring and fall.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wash- once a week
Wax- every 3 or 4 months
Clay- Every 6
Polish- Every 6

Last edited:

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
We have these bugs we call "Love bugs" in Fl, that have 2 seasons a year. They fly in these big swarms, do no harm to people, but when they hit your car they are like glue to try and get off. If you leave them on they WILL eat at the clear in no time.

SO...I wash (atleast the front) once a week during these 2 seasons and wax just before the bug season starts. (2 times a year as this prevents them from getting through the clear.

That is about it for the year, except for the off roading washes!!!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to wash once a week, apply a coat of wax once a month, and do a full multi-step detail every 4 months (claybar, multiple coats of wax, etc).

Now that my Jeep has quite honestly hit basic transportation status, I wash it once a month and do a coat of Ice Wax or something to that end. My priority is simply to keep the paint in good shape so it maintains some resale value.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We have these bugs we call "Love bugs" in Fl, that have 2 seasons a year. They fly in these big swarms, do no harm to people, but when they hit your car they are like glue to try and get off. If you leave them on they WILL eat at the clear in no time.

SO...I wash (atleast the front) once a week during these 2 seasons and wax just before the bug season starts. (2 times a year as this prevents them from getting through the clear.

That is about it for the year, except for the off roading washes!!!

I hate that season...not as much as pollen season though...(blarg)

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been very inconsistent with my cleaning & waxing.....

When I first bought the Renny I washed it often and waxed it 3 times in it's first year. After that I got a bit too lax and let it go for over a year without waxing....(washed it a few times, but didn't wax)......I also let the glass go unprotected by not applying Rain-X, and the damage really shows now.

This past year I stepped it up a lot, I have been washing it at least once a week if not more. I purchased a new buffing wheel, but wasn't totally satisfied with the results, then because of the information gotten from this site I discovered the clay bar, and have done my hood with plans to do the roof next, then the rest of the Jeep. it has also received 3 coats of wax so far this year.

I guess now that I've decided to keep this KJ for a few more years has been the incentive to take better care of it......

Boiler

Reaction score
I've been slipping...I've ran through the auto spray wash every 2-4 weeks since December...and pretty much let it slide over the last couple months. I really need to detail it, but it is in various stages of disassembly so its tough to get motivated. I'm going to have to though, its going to be apart for a while.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wash at least once a week maybe more depending
clay bar two to three times a year
wax very 4 to 6 months or more depending

Gathering wax supplies now to take to Tanzania to detail the Toyota while I am there! :D

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wash once a week. Even in winter. Wax every so often. Usually run the Quick Detailer stuff over to get rid of water spots after a wash. I also put the KJ on a hoist, peel the skids off and power wash the underside after muddy offroad trips. I think I'm almost OCD about it but no where near the HJ OCDness when it comes to wash/clay/buff/polish-ing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How many of you guys take off your tail lights and 3rd brake light to wax under them?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never tried taking the brake light covers off to apply wax, but sounds like a good idea!
Do you take the doors off to apply wax around the hinges too?:D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Cyclop Brake Housing Cleaned!

Took HJ's advice today. :D
I took the center brake light off, cleaned and waxed the area.
The 921 bulb and socket was still in working order but blackened, so I replaced the bulb while there.
After cleaning, two lens impression marks existed on either side on the metal, and gave it an alcohol bath and Meguires #3 to the effected area.
Polished exterior of lens with a marine plastic cleaner.
Much Better now! =D>34062[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• CenterBrakeLight.jpg
    CenterBrakeLight.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0