How ocncerned should I be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How concerned should I be

SO was making a drive earlier today and sitting at a light and looked down and noticed my temp gauge creeping up. Traffic started to go and I stopped at the next gas station about 1/2 mile down the road. The needle never went above the 3rd large mark ( 3/4 mark pretty much) it stayer between that one and the small notch ( one between 1/2 and 3/4). I shut the jeep off and popped the hood and the coolant level in the reservoir was up but not boiling over at all. I checked the fan connection ( my tab is broken off so it doesnt lock). Had my wife start the car and the fan was running and i checked the temp gauge and it went down to its normal operating temp. We made the rest of our drive about 20 miles, without issues.

My question is, how concerned should I be about the possibility of valve seat dropping? I know the temp was higher than usual but it wasnt run long that way. I think the fan plug was loose and the fan wasnt getting a good connection. So I am ordering a new fan just to be safe. while I was checking the connection I noticed signs of electrical burns in the plug connector. It didnt smell like it had just happened. Where can I get that female end ( jeep harness side) plug at so I can just replace it as well.

I am very tempted to for this weekend and our return trip to cut the plug ends off and splice them together and use some heat shrink to protect them better from moisture.

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• fan plug1.jpg
    fan plug1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 32
  • fan plug 2.jpg
    fan plug 2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like you had the same issue as I do.

The part number to replace the connector on the wiring harness side is
05017117AA.

It could have been a loose connection causing high resistance resistance between the metal pin, thus melting the plastic housing. if you're not replacing the connector then I would suggest securing it with a ziptie.

I recently replaced my e-rad fan and the relay as well.
I also used some dielectric grease on the pins.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the new female plug ordered, should be here tomorrow. Dealer part.

Have the new fan coming in from NAPA tomorrow morning as well.

I zip tied the plug together so it held tight. drove it around town to get the parts ordered and she is running fine. Temp holding steady and I checked the fan and its running. Probably a fluke and the fan may be fine, but to be on the safe side its getting replaced.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valve seat problem was for 02 and 03 model years the problem was supposedly fixed on the 04 model year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way you should be fine
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would see about getting one of the 2 speed fans like what I have in my jeep and then look at buying the controller kit for it. I know the 2003.5 and up use it and I would say that having the 2 speeds will help you out in the long run.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just count the number of terminals on the plug. If there are three terminals then you have 2 speeds, and if you have 2 terminals you have one speed.

Latest posts

Members online