How long does a PCV valve last before changing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Liberty with the 3.7 engine.
For the last year I have searched on the internet for the location of the PCV valve. Yesterday I headed out to 4 different auto stores who stated they had to order the PCV valve and didn't know where the location of the part on the engine!:emotions34: I left my gallon of HOAT anti freeze and a quart of Mobil 1 engine oil on the counter and left for one more stop, Pep Boys.
I asked the clerk at the counter my question. He said he also runs the shop in the back and has never changed one of those yet! He went on the computer which seemed forever and found the picture of the PCV Valve location which happens to be on the drivers side rear of the motor. Boy what a relief for me. Of course they had to order the part but the mechanic told me that they do not change them as often as the older types because of tighter tolerances in the new engines. Is this true and how often do you change them?
Oh yea I bought my Antifreeze and oil at that store for their help.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My KJ is an 05 so an older model. I change it every fall before winter with my oil/filter/pre winter maintenance I do. It just takes a minute for me to change it. I just go to NAPA and get one and they always have them and they are only $6-7 dollars and the people at NAPA seem to know what they are talking about.

I don't know about the 2010KK you have as far as how long they are supposed to last or where it is on the KK's so I can't help you there.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to also say to stay away from those "make believe" parts places, especially the ones that tell you they never changed a PCV. You could have gone to the dealer parts dpt. and got one in an instant. I go there sometimes for something and they always have it and their prices aren't as bad as everyone thinks.

Dave

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen one like this. It is clipped to a adapter that screws into the block. Then the pipe runs across the back of the engine to the intake plenum.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen one like this. It is clipped to a adapter that screws into the block. Then the pipe runs across the back of the engine to the intake plenum.

They changed location of them on the KKs. Not sure why since its a PITA.
But I change mine about every 12-15,000 miles. They're cheap like spark plugs so keeping it fresh.
If they are telling you they never change them then yes like Dave stated just turn and leave
no use wasting any more time with them

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They changed location of them on the KKs. Not sure why since its a PITA.
But I change mine about every 12-15,000 miles. They're cheap like spark plugs so keeping it fresh.
If they are telling you they never change them then yes like Dave stated just turn and leave
no use wasting any more time with them

I can't find the at the auto stores so I will order one on-line. I have never changed it yet! That's not good for me.
:Violin: