How does my flywheel look?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psyon

Reaction score
I am still diagnosing a starter issue. I took the starter off today, and recorded a video of the flywheel while rotatin the engine. There is one spot where it looks chewed up at the front of the teeth, but the starter should engage beyound that area. There has been a few times when the starter engaged the engine and turned it over for quite a while, so I don't thinkt he flywheel is bad, but I don't look at them enough and wanted some other opinions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Starter has been hitting the teeth hard in a couple of areas for sure
How does the teeth on the starter look ?
If even a few of the teeth on the starter look that bad and both align right ( i.e. bad teeth vs bad teeth ) it could cause an issue
Depending on where and how it hits but teeth do not always go back in as far as you may think

psyon

Reaction score
Starter has been hitting the teeth hard in a couple of areas for sure
How does the teeth on the starter look ?
If even a few of the teeth on the starter look that bad and both align right ( i.e. bad teeth vs bad teeth ) it could cause an issue
Depending on where and how it hits but teeth do not always go back in as far as you may think

Starter teeth look fine, but I just replaced it. The one I just replaced was put on in June though, and the teeth look fine too. It doesn't look like the teeth are engaging in far enough. I measure from the mounting face for the starter, to the back of the fly wheel, and it's about an inch. To the front of the flywheel is around half an inch. When I measure off the face on the starter, that distance would only allow about 1/8" to engage with the fly wheel, and that's about the depth of the slopes on the starter teeth. You can see markings on the flywheel teeth that indicate that the starter used to engage further back than just 1/8". I am wondering if AutoZone gave me the wrong starter twice. I can't find anything about how far the flywheel should be inside the hole, and how far out the starter should be able to engage though, so right now I am not sure how to argue with them if that is the case.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you are dealing with Autozone
I hardly trust them to see me a sparkplug ( oh wait I don't LOL )
I would go to NAPA or somewhere else and ask to see one and compare

psyon

Reaction score
Here is a still shot of the area that looked the worse. It looks like it's just scraped on the fronts, and not missing much material. It shows the "shadow" (for lack of a better term), that I think is where the starter teeth used to engage on it.
You must be registered for see images attach