How do you remove the mechanical fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I'm replacing my radiator and water pump. Everything is going smooth until I get to the mechanical fan. Can't for the life of me get this thing off. I have been at it for the past two hours and have decided to give it up and see if anyone has any backyard hillbilly way to get this off.

First I tried hitting the wrench with a hammer. That didn't work so then I removed the serpentine belt and tried a strap wrench to hold the pulley and broke the strap. Tried to use my belt (that holds up my pants) and broke my belt. Tried to stuff a couple bolts through the holes in the pulley and bent the bolts. This fawker ain't coming off. Anyone know how the hell to get this off with out specialized tools?

I have searched and unless the answer is buried in some obscure thread the only answer I saw was TJKJ's air hammer and special wrench.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get the proper sized wrench for the nut, then put a bolt through one of the holes in the water pump long enough so that it'll catch on a fin to stop it from spinning.

Edit: You already tried the water pump thing?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the proper sized wrench for the nut, then put a bolt through one of the holes in the water pump long enough so that it'll catch on a fin to stop it from spinning.

Edit: You already tried the water pump thing?

I have the proper sized wrench and tried this. I gouged the shit out of the water pump and bent the bolts. No bueno. :(

What is the water pump thing?

Last edited:

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to break mine free using a big a** wrench and a BFH. Gave it a few HARD whacks with the belt still on and somewhat holding the pulley with my hands and it broke free. Maybe I just got off easy...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have the proper sized wrench and tried this. I gouged the shit out of the water pump and bent the bolts. No bueno. :(

What is the water pump thing?

The bolt through the hole thing, sounds like you tried it. Maybe use stronger bolts?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke strap wrench. Broke belt. Bet my ass against 9 green walnuts you won't break one of these! The Original

Takes a bit of common sense when clamping it around the pulley to not damage it, and they ain't cheap. But once you buy one of these you'll find it the handiest thing since mammary glands on wimmin!

Bob

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a large pipe wrench and a universal fan clutch holder from napa. NAPA AUTO PARTS | PART DETAILS

Just went to Napa a bit ago and bought this. And... Broke it. It had two nubs on the end so I put those in the pulley holes and broke one of the nubs off. Then used it to clamp the backside of the pulley with the other hook end in the pulley hole and it twisted and bent to shit.

Gonna go and drink beer and worry about this tomorrow. :thumbsdown:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time I took mine off was very tough. I did have a very sturdy clutch fan wrench to fit it (36mm IIRC) and a generic pulley holder that is also very sturdy. I wedged the pulley holder and hit the wrench sharply with a metal hammer. Try spraying some penetrating stuff in there and let it soak.

Just wondering, You are going CCW right? I think when I first tried mine I saw some conflicting thread directions on the world wide internet web.

If you ever do get it off use some antiseize when you put it back together. I'm thinking of getting the set that TJKJ mentioned.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went to Napa a bit ago and bought this. And... Broke it. It had two nubs on the end so I put those in the pulley holes and broke one of the nubs off. Then used it to clamp the backside of the pulley with the other hook end in the pulley hole and it twisted and bent to shit.

Gonna go and drink beer and worry about this tomorrow. :thumbsdown:
Well ****. That's really on there....

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, You are going CCW right? I think when I first tried mine I saw some conflicting thread directions on the world wide internet web.

If you ever do get it off use some antiseize when you put it back together. I'm thinking of getting the set that TJKJ mentioned.

^^That^^

When standing in front of the Jeep you should be turning your wrench to the LEFT (Counter Clock Wise) to remove it. I agree with Itd02 - many conflicting reports on the direction the engine spins the fan to tighten it which confuses people trying to remove it. Basically, it's like any other standard bolt - righty/tighty, lefty/loosey. (I hate that phrase, by the way :emotions34: )

Bob

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I took mine off was very tough. I did have a very sturdy clutch fan wrench to fit it (36mm IIRC) and a generic pulley holder that is also very sturdy. I wedged the pulley holder and hit the wrench sharply with a metal hammer. Try spraying some penetrating stuff in there and let it soak.

^^That^^

When standing in front of the Jeep you should be turning your wrench to the LEFT (Counter Clock Wise) to remove it. I agree with Itd02 - many conflicting reports on the direction the engine spins the fan to tighten it which confuses people trying to remove it. Basically, it's like any other standard bolt - righty/tighty, lefty/loosey. (I hate that phrase, by the way :emotions34: )

Bob

Yup. Lefty loosely. I searched and checked to make sure I was doing it right.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an air hammer/air chisel? Generally, a couple hits with that and they're loose.

(I hate autocorrect...)

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm the least bit unsure of direction I take a look at the replacement.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
A CRD thread somewhere showed someone using a palm nailer for impact on the wrench. Took 4 hands to keep pins engaged and about 5 solid hits with a small sledgehammer to get mine loose.

One of the tiny butane torches might help.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat will be ok IF you plan to replace the thermo clutch as well.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success!!! I work 12 hour days so the Jeep was on hold til my work week was over. I have been soaking the nut in PB Blaster every night after work. Finally had time this morning to work on my pile and boom got the nut off. I ended up putting the belt back on and all it took was a little tap on the wrench from a hammer.

Now I got to stop patting myself on the back and finish the job. :D

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So pb blaster was the savior. who would have thought.

Right? :D

I haven't had to many issues with stuck bolts / nuts / fasteners, and being in AZ rust isn't really an issue. Now I know to hit a nut / bolt with PB Blaster before I go breaking tools and shit. Live and learn. :happy175:

Latest posts

Members online