How do you remove the front fender flare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing a badly oxidized left front fender flare.
Can someone tell me how to go about doing it. I don't want to end up taking off more than I should.

Pictures would be great!

Thank You

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you look you'll see the plastic rivets you need to drill out and replace. Also couple of screws, pretty simple if you just look you'll see what needs to come off

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I found that if you use a fresh razor/utility knive blade and just cut the head of the plastic rivet off then you can remove the flare without having to remove the tire from the vehicle.
Then just push the remainder of the rivet through the mounting hole.
Easy peasy!

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read your answers this morning, Thank you for the response. It seems easy from reading what you all say to do. When the flare comes in I'll go at it. Thank You!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yup, pretty straight forward to do.
Also, you can get a rivet gun from Harbour Freight which is specially made for pop riveting plastic rivets.
I have tried using a standard rivet gun but they tend to grip the rivets shaft to well and don't break the shaft/stem (Whatever you call that portion of a rivet) cleanly off close to the rivets head.
Even with the correct size hole opening in a metal rivet rivet gun it's a royal pain in the ass!
And they are not that expensive and come with plastic rivets in the correct size for the flare so you don't need to buy OEM plastic rivets.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry read too late- I just purchased 15 OEM clips on eBay for a total of $17.99

Sturules

Reaction score
Remove fender

I have to remove the fender from the back driver side wheel well, I see the rivets that you were talking about, but once the rivets are removed will the piece come off easily? the reason I ask is I don't want to scratch the paint or cause a bigger problem, you know...

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, pretty straight forward to do.
Also, you can get a rivet gun from Harbour Freight which is specially made for pop riveting plastic rivets.
I have tried using a standard rivet gun but they tend to grip the rivets shaft to well and don't break the shaft/stem (Whatever you call that portion of a rivet) cleanly off close to the rivets head.
Even with the correct size hole opening in a metal rivet rivet gun it's a royal pain in the ass!
And they are not that expensive and come with plastic rivets in the correct size for the flare so you don't need to buy OEM plastic rivets.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

that one? also what size rivets are needed from the kit...
40 industrial strength Polyoxymethylene (POM) rivets: 10 each of 5mm x 15.8mm, 5mm x 17.2mm, 6.6mm x 17.2mm, and 6.3mm x 25.2mm

I also want to remove all the plastics and "treat" them but figure I should get the tool/rivets first. :D

edit: found this info...
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...--Rear--Right-M63X250/4319831/06506007AA.html

appears that 6.3x25 is the stock size. HF also sells just those in packs of 20...
http://www.harborfreight.com/rivets-20-plastic-63mmx252m-67566.html

How many rivets over the entire vehicle would I need.

Last edited:

rfnut

Reaction score
Don't mean to steal this thread, but my front fender flare is loose at the top. When I removed it, all of the fasteners along the top edge are broken. Is there a source for these. They seem to just pop in place.

I will have to run over to HF and get a rivet tool.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
NAPA or any auto parts store should have them. Heck even Menards, Lowes and Home Depot sometimes have them.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to steal this thread, but my front fender flare is loose at the top. When I removed it, all of the fasteners along the top edge are broken. Is there a source for these. They seem to just pop in place.

I will have to run over to HF and get a rivet tool.

I got here looking for an answer to this same question. the top front two fasteners on my Columbia edition flare look like they are broke or just not grabbing the hole correctly so I have a gab between the flare and the fender. Anyone know if there is a way to fix this easily? I don't see any way to access the rear side of of these rivets in order to replace of press further into the fender. Thanks

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got here looking for an answer to this same question. the top front two fasteners on my Columbia edition flare look like they are broke or just not grabbing the hole correctly so I have a gab between the flare and the fender. Anyone know if there is a way to fix this easily? I don't see any way to access the rear side of of these rivets in order to replace of press further into the fender. Thanks
That's the beauty of these rivets, they're a 'blind' style. You can remove and replace them without any access at all to the other side. The Harbor freight tool referred to earlier in this thread works perfectly. I just used it a month or so ago to remove and replace several rivets on my rear fender, and it could not possibly be any easier.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the beauty of these rivets, they're a 'blind' style. You can remove and replace them without any access at all to the other side. The Harbor freight tool referred to earlier in this thread works perfectly. I just used it a month or so ago to remove and replace several rivets on my rear fender, and it could not possibly be any easier.

Guess I am struggling to visualize how to use that tool for this repair. Any pics or care to further educate me? thanks man

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are like the pop rivets I have used on other things, the rivet is inserted in the hole. There is a stem (kind of like a nail) down the center of the rivet. The tool pulls the stem out which makes the back of the rivet expand. Once it is snug against the back of whatever you are installing it in the stem breaks off. Then you sit back, drink beer, and admire your handiwork. :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I don't see any way to access the rear side of of these rivets in order to replace of press further into the fender. Thanks
You don't need to access the rear. Just stuff it in from the front (with the parts lined up, of course) and squeeze.

(That sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it?) :happy175:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does but I like it. lol. I guess I'm just dense cause my columbia edition doesn't give any way to line those up or use unless I'm missing something or need to reach from inside the engine bay or remove the inner fender first etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It does but I like it. lol. I guess I'm just dense cause my columbia edition doesn't give any way to line those up or use unless I'm missing something or need to reach from inside the engine bay or remove the inner fender first etc.

If you need to reattach the fender then you need to remove the inner fender first then reinstall it