How do you like passenger side grab handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomasX

Reaction score
How do you like grab handle located in front instead of traditional over head location?

We only have some 500 miles on the car but both my wife and I really hate the handle :mad:. Of course it is not in the place where one keeps grabbing for it :eek: but even when I consider that I can get used to it over time, it does not seem to be helping much. For example I cannot comfortably lean back and hold the handle at the same time and I keep hitting it with my knees every so often.

So far we have only been on road with Libby but from my previous experience with 'off-roading' (in RAV 4), good handle is rather important when you don't have steering wheel to hold on.

I was looking in the forums to see if anyone tried to do anything about it but found nothing (for KK or KJ). I am considering having grab handle from some other car installed.

Any comments or ideas? Is it doable?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I forgot on the 05's+ they moved the grab handle to down by the glove box, instead of on the pillar.

I could see how that gets in the way. However I hardly ever ride shot gun in my Jeep....but my passengers seem to love the handle for some reason (I call it the oh sh*t handle :D )

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they didn't. It's still up there on the pillar. The grab handle above the glove box was an addition.

Correct.....mine is an 05 and it has both grab handles on the passenger side. So 02-04 just had the one on the pillar?

I have never sat in the passenger seat on mine but my GF has not complained, so I do not know what to tell you on that.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the passenger side grab handle. Hate it.
I always have to tell people move your arm, can't see mirror...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, thats an awesome smiley hyedipin.

The handle above the glove box was added on the 04+ libertys. It also houses the light for the passenger side air bag.

If you have a lift, go offroad, or drive fast the handle will be very helpful. Its not as easy to get in and out when your Jeep is 3" higher and youre parked a 20+degree slope and you try to get out while fighting the door closing on you.

Use it as a Jeep and things like that will become very apparent. :)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I have all 3 and my wife uses two of those ALL the time

Off Road in a Rav 4 ....wow

TomasX

Reaction score
Off Road in a Rav 4 ....wow

Indeed :p! I would dare to say that my old Rav saw more dirt, sand and slickrock than most Libbies I see on the road ever will.

We took it to Death Valley (Racetrack, Hidden Valley, Hunter Mountain), to Cathedral Valley in Capitol Reef in 2006 and last summer to Angstrom Point above Lake Powell from there through the Smoky Mountain Road to Escalante (had to cross formerly dry wash in 9 places - had to wait till the water receded a bit, that was a LOT of fun), then all the way to the Hole-in-the-rock and back, through the Mulley Twist Canyon to the Strike Valley Overlook in Capitol Reef, through the Hite Road to the bottom of the Flint Trail in Canyonlands, there we got 1/3 way up but had to turn back, we got to the top of the Flint Trail from Hans Flat next day only to find out that the Flint Trail was closed for a while due to the storm damage. We also took it through several backroads in San Refael Reef area.

It performed well wherever I dared to take it but few times I hit rocks with the underside and 'failure' to climb up the Flint Trail got me thinking... I could really use low range and skid plates (to start with) so here I am, swapping 2006 Rav for 2008 Liberty.

We only have the Liberty for 6 weeks and we really started using it only for last two weeks so I am only getting used to it (on road only so far, but plans for another trip to Utah are already waiting to be executed - White Rim Road in Island in the Sky and Elephant Hill in Needles (second one on bikes for now :eek:)).

TomasX

Reaction score
Use it as a Jeep and things like that will become very apparent. :)

I will soon and that's why I am wondering how useful is the handle where it is. I have already noticed that it is not much help when you sit in the passenger seat when car is turning right. I have no idea how it will work off road but from the experience, I doubt it will help at all when car is leaning to the left side.

I have seen pictures of older models and I can see you have handle in front of you, handle on the pillar and handle overhead. I wish they'd kept them all but in 2008 Liberty Sport, we only get the front one.

I have noticed that there are overhead handles for the rear seats and was able to reach one on my side so I might use it. If it is not going to work, I'll see if I can get stealership to install handles to the front as well.

Last edited:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would fitting a dash grab handle in my 2004 be hard work ?ie is it tied in with airbags ect or just a simple remove blanking strip bolt in place affair.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have another grab handle, on my 08, on the pillar or overhead. Let us know if anyone finds a kit to add an additional handle.

Also, has anyone had the rear seat handles out? If so, do you think one could be purchased from Jeep and installed over the doors?

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is a "grab handle" per say, I think it is there for off-road purposes. I've seen other SUV's with similar handles in the same location such as older "Rovers", but I could be wrong. It doens't seem logical to have one there but again it is not logical NOT to have them either which I found odd in the KK's. Maybe I could get extra rear passenger handles from MOPAR and have it installed.
But then again Jeep has done weird design things like NOT having window controls on the door and not on it's center console.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The handle is more of a truck style handle. It is for short people who need a hand getting in and it is also the (oh sh*t handle as I also call it).

Latest posts

Members online