How do you drive this thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or more appropriately, how the heck do you guys fit yourselves in WK?
I drove an 08 before and I did not feel this cramped. Now they gave me an 09 WK "Rocky Mountain Edition" straight AWD (Plain 4x4) with no select-ability or low-gear, but the problem is, the steering wheel is way too low, or seat is too high. I tried lowering it, it doesn't go any lower, and the steering wheel won't go any higher.

These are not big deals, but the biggest problem I had was actually my leg being in the way of steering wheel. I am not that tall, just 6', and I like to drive with my leg bent instead of stretched out. With my KJ when I bend my leg and place my foot just under my seat frame, I can still turn the steering wheel with my left hand, but with WK, I cannot make a full circle because my leg/knee is there. OK, let's try driving with my leg stretched out, ouch, after 10 minutes my leg starts hurting because when you extend your leg and place your foot on the foot rest, there isn't a comfortable "side wall" to rest your leg on, the door pocket or the speaker, whatever is there is sticking out making it awkwardly uncomfortable. Same on the other side, the material is so hard and blocky, where on my KJ I could just rest my right knee on the center console when I am accelerating, with WK it strats hurting after a bit.

Hey Marlon, have you ever felt this way? Again, I did not notice this problem when I drove on 08 last year, but I must say that ride quality is so much better, it is still as firm as KJ, but not as noisy (engine is almost completely blocked, where I could not tell that rmp was at 5k when I floored it). Steering is jumpy but in a good way, it just needs wider tires to compensate for body roll, but stiff suspension helps. Rear leg room seems not much greater than KJ, and it surely sits lower. Will post more as I drive more.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ptsb.......Hyed is upset. He means KK.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
How do I fit?

Simple!

I fit!

I fit in this thing better than I do a KJ.

WAY BETTER.

That's probably why I haven't dumped it yet. :p

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I felt fine in both, a bit low in a KK, but the one I drove didn't have power seats.

In XK/WK....it was fine, felt pretty cool. I'm only 5' 11" though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is something wrong this particular one. No matter how much I lower the seat, I still cannot see the traffic light at the same spot I generally stop. Marlon, the door handle is way too low, when I try to open to door, I have to move my ass out of the way so I can grab the door handle to open.. It is really weird, I have not felt this awkward driving a vehicle since PT Cruiser (even that was fixed after I adjusted steering wheel height)..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think there is something wrong this particular one. No matter how much I lower the seat, I still cannot see the traffic light at the same spot I generally stop. Marlon, the door handle is way too low, when I try to open to door, I have to move my ass out of the way so I can grab the door handle to open.. It is really weird, I have not felt this awkward driving a vehicle since PT Cruiser (even that was fixed after I adjusted steering wheel height)..
OK Traffic lights ARE a problem and I am not sure why. Door handle is kinda low, took me a while to get used to it, and the traffic light situation. Just stop further away.

Just WK quirks.

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rented one once. Right after I gave it back I went online to apply for Chrysler credit because I wanted one so bad. I'm also 6'4" 250lbs. Very comfy for me.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Regarding Rear Seat Room Being Not Much Better Than KJ: It isn't. The extra length can definitely be seen and felt in the front driver's seat. If I push my steering wheel all the way in, and seat all the way back in this thing, I cannot drive that way. I seriously have to stretch. It's just *slightly* longer and wider. It only LOOKS much bigger.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 days mark, it is getting better, I pushed the seat all the way back, now I don't have to bend my knee that much, but if I place my foot under the seat, the knee/upper thigh gets in the way, so I try to place my foot somewhere in the middle. The ride is pretty good, just found myself doing 80mph, and there is still no engine noise (not noticeably) compared to KJ this is whisper quiet. There is a terrible noise when I am at full lock making a U turn, I can definitely say that tire is rubbing on wishbone, it must have something to do with the front driver side bumper being pushed all the way in (from a previous loaner accident). The steering is very responsive. I just learned not to stop too close to lights anymore. Door handle is still hard to locate in the dark.

Here is something very interesting. The drivers side tail lamp parking lights are out, brake light is OK. When I use left turn signal with the headlights OFF, it blinks fine both on front and rear. When I turn on the parking lamp or headlights, the front turn signal goes wild (high blink indicating burnout somewhere) and the rear signal just doesn't blink at all. This is really weird. Why would the rear turn signal stop working when the headlights are on? I have to replace it, it will be my gift to Jeep.

Marlon do I just pop it off like KJ? I don't want to break the darn thing, but I really want to be able to signal left at night. What I have been doing was I turn off the headlights so signal is visible from rear, then turn them on after I turn..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Good question, in 54k I've never had to replace any tail light bulbs. So actually I don't know how to change them but I'd imagine it's the same as KJ, remove screws, whereever they are lol3.gif, and pull the whole thing out.

Told you it would get better, it's all about getting used to the quirks of a different vehicle. That doorhandle situation will also get better too, I just reach my hand down like it's nothing now.... I've actually started to *like* the location of the handle. I just wish it didn't feel so cheap. :(