How do I fix it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I have a spot about the size of a half dollar, just above the flip glass, where the paint is bubbling. I will post pics tomorrow to get a better idea, but I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to fix this?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to keep it from getting worse?

Yep, sand off the bubble and primer it right away.

Send pics. Depending on the size and scope of the bubble, this may be a job you could do yourself if you take great care and do the prep right.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap.

Just noticed the same thing at the rear lift glass and a bit of visible rust drips under the glass when I was cleaning the Jeep this morning. The intent today was brake cleaner, degreaser and foaming pre-treat on the entire underside and all suspension and axle components to get a clean work surface for lift and axle work... but after pressure washing I opened the back door to get something and noticed the offending rust!

It's an 02 and has been in salt every year but other than a small chip along the bottom of the passenger side rear door had never noticed any visible rust. The bubbles are right above and below the rear window glass hinge covers and only 1/8 inch or so but there are several now.

Looks like some sanding to bare metal might be necessary? Will try a bit of rust remover for now under the glass but once the paint is damaged like this I guess there's no choice but to prep and repaint?

Another job for the list... sigh. :whip:

tphitterlude92

Reaction score
crazy, i have the same thing on mine.. i just have one bubble but it has only seen the salty roads one time and i had the bubble before hand.

staggerlee41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my 02, just to the right of the passenger side hinge. When you open the glass look inside at the top below the hinges, mine rusted there too. The bottoms of the doors are also developing rust, fortunately most of it on the inside. I had a couple of guys look at mine and they felt that due to the location it might be a pretty involved job. It ended up not being worth my money to drop in and fix the spots...but I also let them go.

My solution: Buy an '11:happy175:

Seriously though take care of it before it gets worse. Mine has to sit out, no garage for me so I plan on washing the new one off weekly this winter. Damn salt and snow!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine has all that too... I'll be attending to it before the snow flies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.