How do I access the map reading bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sferg410

Reaction score
Hi. How do i get to the two bulbs for the map reading lights in the centre roof console.
2004 2.8 CRD UK.
I took the ***** out, slid the whole thing forward towards wind screen a little bit and tried to pull the unit down but it was not coming out.
Is there not an easier way to get to these bulbs like the rear light where you just pop off the lens?
Also, how do I get to the vanity light bulbs in the sun visor? Ideally I would like to change these interior bulbs to LED ones.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
The housing is held in by a clip on each side. Gently push it towards the passenger side and pull down. Then push towards the driverside and repeat.

Be careful the clips get brittle with age. As you can see, one of mine snapped off, but it stays in just fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 16

sferg410

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I should have said it is a 2004 2.8 CRD. The console is quite different to that, although maybe it comes out the same way.

sferg410

Reaction score
ha ha, just noticed I can't use the word '*****' - that's useful on a mechanical forum lol.
s c r e w

Danakin

Reaction score
Screws. I think someone figured out this is a forum dedicated to automobiles that aside from some welding are basically screwed together and it's difficult and terribly silly to not allow a reference to an inclined plane wrapped helically around a shaft. uh oh!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screws. I think someone figured out this is a forum dedicated to automobiles that aside from some welding are basically screwed together and it's difficult and terribly silly to not allow a reference to an inclined plane wrapped helically around a shaft. uh oh!
If you have an EVIC there is one T-20 fastener in a deep well at the front (window) end of the console. Remove it and pull that end down and back. IIRC the mirror lamps are not replaceable, per the service manual.

Latest posts

Members online