How do I access blend door actuator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemiwk57

Reaction score
My 03 Renegade is experiencing issues with the climate control (specifically the heat vs cold control) and I am looking to replace the blend door actuator as I believe it is faulty. How do I access it to replace it?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha and I thought this was a 3rd gen Ram only problem.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my post over on lost from when I swapped out my entire heater box assembly:

I was finally able to get it done... It took about 3 1/2 hours to do. I really thought it would be a lot tougher of a task... I should have wrote up a how to with pics... But it was way too cold out... Had to power through it. I'll try my best to explain .

I started by disconnecting the battery then removing the center console, then comes the A pillar handles; and everything screwed/clipped into the dash... All of the trim around the steering wheel, the column switch, gauge cluster, as well as both kick panels come out... Then the stereo and all HVAC controls. then the passenger side airbag came out. once that is done you can remove the swing bolts that are located behind the kick panels, then i took out the center mounting bolts as well as the plate. I then unscrewed the fuse/junction box at this point, then disconnected the wire harness starting at the brake switch and working my way over I fished most of it through the opening for the steering wheel. Then I disconnected the vacuum line and electrical connectors on the passenger side that go to the blower motor and the resistor, etc and fished them out a bit. After that its the main bolts that go into the firewall... I never dropped the steering column... I only loosened the two 13mm? Bolts that go up and through the bottom of the mid column up, they protrude just enough that you can't pull the dash towards you without backing them off till the ends are flush. Then there are
Two 10mm washer nuts on the bottom of the heater Box... And that just about finishes off the work in the cabin.

Then ON to the engine bay! You have to move the coolant overflow out of the way to get to the one remaining washer bolt on the firewall and the input output hoses On the heater core... Evacuate the AC then disconnect evaporator... Back in the cabin you can pull the dash back enough to wiggle the old heater box out. Twist it back towards you so the heater core openings face up and pull it out.

Jump around for joy at this point and look at your car in disbelief but be full of confidence because its not rocket science

When re installing take care to be easy and not Force it in... You can make enough space to get it in without forcing it. Also take care when handling your fuse/junction box... When I buttoned everything back up my gauge cluster was dead... I had to reseat the connectors and reset the battery... After that everything should be gravy. Enjoy the heat!

hemiwk57

Reaction score
Sounds painful. From what I read the heater box does not have to actually be removed to get the actuator off and replaced, but you do have to remove the dash to get to the heater box. I'm wondering if there is any creative cutting that can be done behind the glovebox (assuming thats where the heater box is) to get to the actuator and replace it. The vehicle is 10+ years old so at this point I am looking for easy vs. perfect if possible. I did blend doors on a WJ twice, and then again when the heater core went.... I swore I would not do it again!

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problems with my wifes 02. We dont want to spend alot of money on a 11 year old vehicle.

hemiwk57

Reaction score
Well, I purchased the actuator today. Guess I will try to figure it out this weekend.

hemiwk57

Reaction score
Well, I got in there today and found the culprit. It looks like the actuator did fail, but when it did, it kept pushing the blend door against the plastic stopper in the HVAC housing until it snapped and cracked the housing, along with the plastic tab on the blend door that hits the stopper on the housing. So now I am trying to source the blend door which does not seem to be sold by itself and the upper housing of the heater box. Anyone have experience with ordering either of these parts?

hemiwk57

Reaction score
Thanks, unfortunately the liberty is completely different than the WJ.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got in there today and found the culprit. It looks like the actuator did fail, but when it did, it kept pushing the blend door against the plastic stopper in the HVAC housing until it snapped and cracked the housing, along with the plastic tab on the blend door that hits the stopper on the housing. So now I am trying to source the blend door which does not seem to be sold by itself and the upper housing of the heater box. Anyone have experience with ordering either of these parts?

Got any pictures of the location of the actuator?

hemiwk57

Reaction score
Got any pictures of the location of the actuator?

It's on top of the HVAC box behind the dash. Completely not visible until you remove the dash. If you want a pic of what the top of the HVAC box and actuator look like, PM me your email address and I will send it over. It is sitting on my kitchen counter at the moment as I think about what to do to fix it tomorrow :)

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on top of the HVAC box behind the dash. Completely not visible until you remove the dash. If you want a pic of what the top of the HVAC box and actuator look like, PM me your email address and I will send it over. It is sitting on my kitchen counter at the moment as I think about what to do to fix it tomorrow :)

I'm not going to attempt to take out the HVAC box. I was hoping to get to the actuator without taking everthing apart.

Latest posts

Members online