Hood idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking seriously about buying a hood(30 bucks on Craigslist) and doing some fab work to it, like mabe add a cowl if some type. Just depends what can come up with for a donor hood to cut up and graft to Libby hood. More than likely it will be completely for looks but who knows maybe not. Yall ever done one or see thing like what I'm thinking of doing.

I'm decent at body work and shaved plenty of handles and body holes in my day. I know I can do this so I thought why not. Now I just gotta find the cowl/scoop or vent setup I think would look good. Plus trying to make it look like a halfway factory style hood. Could be a fun yet time consuming project but hey I can weld and few other skills up my sleeve. What do yall think?

I will say, it might be a while befor I start this but hell I might start in the next week ot two.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be different, make yourself a hood with a functional scoop down the middle or something similar
I think it'd be cool to see if done right, and you can never have too much air going in to cool down that engine and also dissipate heat at idle
If it all goes good then you'll have a unique hood, if not you're out some time and only $30+ whatever parts you buy

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the hood louvers but that's about it. I think they look great depending how they are done. I'm just wanting to try something a little different. So game on. This might be slow going but I'm gonna give it a go. Wish me luck!

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got a set of jaguar hood louvers ive re contoured to eventually inset into the curvature on either side of the hood i just havent had time to get around to doing it and ive had repainting the jeep in the forefront of my mind so was around-about planning to do them at the same time, seen people use z34 lumina louvers, grand prix etc , pick a style you dig and roll with it

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and go for it. I went the easy way and just swapped hoods with someone that already had the hood louvers installed. It made a difference in cooling and my a/c runs a bit cooler now.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the blackout look to the louver look but that's just me. But if you wanna go for a different kinda look here's a photo shopped concept design I ran across when I started my liberty concept project.

Attachments

• cache_1812184.jpg
    cache_1812184.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 79

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the blackout look to the louver look but that's just me. But if you wanna go for a different kinda look here's a photo shopped concept design I ran across when I started my liberty concept project.

Oh man thats ugly

Remember the shop that made the induction hood KYJEEP had one I think

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't gonna say it, but yeah I think it's kinda ugly too. Lol. But it may give him an idea or two in a different direction. Or if nothing else show him an example of how a look can be taken too far. Lol.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$180 bucks for fake scoops ???
:happy175:
I paid 15 bucks for the GTP louvers

Hey, some people put $3000 lift kits when they can simply get a 6-puck body lift for $10.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA....

Here ya go Tom... something a little cheaper.

[YT]G7nRRykiOGc[/YT]

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, some people put $3000 lift kits when they can simply get a 6-puck body lift for $10.

[YT]G7nRRykiOGc[/YT]

My next KJ build will have a 9 inch body lift using hockey pucks !!
Then stacking a RRO on top of a daystar, Thinking 14 inches of lift when done.
Run 35s easily

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next KJ build will have a 9 inch body lift using hockey pucks !!
Then stacking a RRO on top of a daystar, Thinking 14 inches of lift when done.
Run 35s easily

That should work out perfect! All the negatives will equal each other out and actually make it safer!

I'm still trying to find that look that stands out to me. Guess I know it when it catches my eye. I wouldnt mind it being subtle where only kj people would notice it. I'm just up in the air still on either an actual cowl. I love those coming from working on chevy's my whole life ,but I want it to belong what ever I end up doing. Hell' might end up doing louvers for a while but I will figure out and fab something up. Will it be worth a darn, time will tell. Like most things,some will like it and some wont. Guess it would help to have some type of trend or certain style going at the jeep. I keep going back to hot rod thinking. Maybe I need to think more futuristic! MAybe I'm over thinking this whole thing!lol

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try and make something similar to the Hard Rock hoods on the Wrangler. Taking cues from other jeeps will help give it a jeep feel. I've looked a lot at various jeep concept vehicles for inspiration on my liberty concept.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea RENEGADE. I've kinda been doing that a little. If I have the time in the next day or two I've scavanged a few things and might start messing around with it. FRom what I've sketched up it has the makings to look kinda cool, now lets see if I can transfer that over to metal.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some very cool things, at very little cost, and saved time by making things out of other things. You might consider picking up some existing louvers, scoops, etc, that you can cut, bend, reshape, attach to each other, or modify in some other way to make something original. And think outside the box too. Old aircraft sometimes have some neat vents for example.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

[YT]G7nRRykiOGc[/YT]

That's funny as hell!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online