Holiday road trip adventures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the KJ on a nice lengthy road trip that will conclude tomorrow. She did pretty well. managed to get 18mpg as the best out of the trip. It was fully loaded down in the back, so it was hauling some more than normal weight. Did have a few interesting things take place on the trip. I noticed that i can hear some bad droning noise from the tires/wheels between 65-75mph. At 80mph its quiet. I am going to take her back and have the alignment checked. My guess is that its tires. I figure if it was the wheel hub I would have it constantly not just at 65-75mph, but I could be wrong. ( sounds like whum whum whum whum, doesnt speed up either just a steady drone).

When I first got the jeep I changed the water pump and flushed the coolant system. I reused the thermostat because it looked to be in good shape. It worked fine and had no issues. However I did discover that when it got really cold that rubber gasket around the thermostat was shrinking and causing a small drip ( it was flat all the way around and the new gasket had a bevel to it) , once the jeep was started and it started to warm up the drip went away. I bought a new thermostat while at the in-laws and changed it out and so far no drip. Decided to change the lower rad hose as well since it was drained and I had it halfway off.

Drove from my dad's to my mom's for new years, about a 6.5hr trip, and it rained the entire way there. when we were in the neighborhood almost at my mom's I drove through a large puddle that I didnt see until too late. It was large enough that at 25mph it splashed over the entire jeep and road. It was pretty funny. The next day while running around my right rear caliper( the one that went in the puddle the most) seized up. So I spent the first part of new year's eve getting that caliper to come unstuck. That was a chore with minimal tools. I managed to get it resolved and since have put over 400 miles on her without issue. Once I get back home I am going to purchase some new calipers just to be on the safe side.

It was an interesting way to end the year and start the new year. But it has been fun.

Andrew

Latest posts

Members online