Hockey Puck Bump Stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chandler Solon

Reaction score
I was looking for 3" 3/8 self-tapping bolts, but I can't find any. Would anyone happen to have a link, please?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get bolts, nuts, and washers. Use a nylock nut not under the spring perch. I actually used used 1/4 inch hardware to make more room for my fat fingers under the spring perch. It can be a bit of a pain but you should only have to do it once per set of springs, it's been years in case.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I used all stainless 1/4 inch , bolts , nyloc nut & washers.
With both hockey pucks I taped them together and drilled in center.
So far so good years later they are still in place.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
∆∆∆∆
Forgot to mention stainless, is definitely a good idea

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With all the water and dirt, then add the salt belt, stainless is the only way to go!;)
Without stainless hardware, you may later need this sticker!
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never used stainless in any I have ever done, never had an issue with removing them either since nut is only up on the bolt enough to cover the end of it, comes right off when you need it
Stainless maybe a good idea but I never worry about that

Chandler Solon

Reaction score
I don't see a way to put a nut on the bottom. The spring perch is on top of the axle.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a way to put a nut on the bottom. The spring perch is on top of the axle.
Like I said it can be a pain, especially with fat fingers, that's why I like the smaller 1/4 in hardware. I doubt I used stainless on mine, not as much of a rusty belt here, but doesn't seem like a bad idea

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL yes it is on top of the axle, but there is more than enough room to put a nut on the bolt, I put a lock washer plus nut on most of the ones I do.
Never had any issues.
Well except the guy who though he needed to use carriage bolts and counter sink sink them, then wanted me to install new springs , could of kicked him square in the ,.......ears LOL

Chandler Solon

Reaction score
The pucks and the top bump stop seem really close together and I was wondering if I should take one puck out. What should the distance between pucks and top bump stop be?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can not really tell looking down on it but how much lift do you have again?

Here is what I do, takes a while but its gets you the most out of them.
Before installing shock I compress it as far as I can and mark, then let up an inch to inch and half, make another mark
Then with springs in no bumpstops jack one side up and compress wheel / tire combo up into the wheelwell as far as possible
measure distance from bottom shock mount to top one
then comparing shocks compressed length -vs- the last measure ment you can pretty much tell how much bumpstop you need
also depends on wheel width/backspacing tire size etc
On my 04 with 4.5 inches of lift I was able to stuff 32s up in and need 2.75 inches of bumpstop
on my 03 with 2.5 inches of lift and 31s I have only one inch perside of bumpstop
Common thought has always been for years that one inch of lift needs one inch of bumpstop over stock etc
maybe that helped or totally confused ya

Chandler Solon

Reaction score
I went with the 731s in the back and Im getting 31s (265/70r16) put on. So from what you did to your 03, I should probably remove one puck.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I went with the 731s in the back and Im getting 31s (265/70r16) put on. So from what you did to your 03, I should probably remove one puck.
I would try that, remove one then jack up or flex out to just make sure shock is not completely compressed
I personally know an idiot that compressed one too far and ruined the shock, LOL
I forgot to put any bump back in and went off road , 3 day old shock ......ha ha

Latest posts

Members online