Hitch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I picked up a hidden hitch from a local scrap yard, sanded and re painted it. I used a plumbers brush with pb blaster to clean out the holes. Four of them went in after a few minutes of brushing. Two crossthreaded and will not go in correctly. One on each side. I saw other threads mention a bolt tap, but will I be able to rethread the holes, or am I screwed? Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
M12X1.75X40 MM is the size bolt it takes, just go get a tap and run it in and out a few times, you'll be fine

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never have used a drill tap before, is this something you do by hand? How hard will it be to do? Thanks for the help guys. I knew the tap size, just not familiar with one. :D
Is this sufficient? THIS

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats all you need, if you don't have a handle a wrench will work to turn it, won't turn too hard or shouldn't

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never have used a drill tap before, is this something you do by hand? How hard will it be to do? Thanks for the help guys. I knew the tap size, just not familiar with one. :D
Is this sufficient? THIS

Just make sure you start it straight. Then give it slight pressure untill it starts threading correctly. Give it 2-3 turns , then back it out a turn. Reapeat untill the threads are cleaned up. You could use a little oil or spray lube also; but for just cleaniing the threads, you don't really need to.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ill try and find one and report back after finishing!

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the last two bolts in today. The bolt tap is now one of my favorite tools! Now I just have to get the mopar trailer harness kit and add some reverse lights to it.