Highway wiggle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deep6blue

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a "wiggle" when driving at speeds 45mph up? It's not a vibration or alignment, it feels like the Liberty kinda floats. Is this the stock tires? Maybe the ride height?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your tires for sure. If they look and feel fine, have a shop take a look at it. Mine is solid on the road, with stock tires, even at 75 mph. A wiggle would concern me.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wiggle or floating on mine either, however, am not running the stock tires either, but I don't remember that with the stock tires....I would have it checked.

deep6blue

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will continue to monitor it and get it checked out in the near future.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was on the road the other day doing about 65 and i had to swirve to miss road kill and i got alittle loose. kind of scary.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
i was on the road the other day doing about 65 and i had to swirve to miss road kill and i got alittle loose. kind of scary.

Run it over! \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, it was new and i hate cleaning it out of the fender wells, i think it had been bakeing in the sun for awhile, so it was nice and bloated.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
no, it was new and i hate cleaning it out of the fender wells, i think it had been bakeing in the sun for awhile, so it was nice and bloated.

Yuck!!!

I've swerved to miss Opossums before (not fun), and then there was Bambi, the deer with a suicide wish who took a stab at the side of my Jeep (and the KJ was by FAR the winner in the battle).

As far as the wiggle, no wiggle for me, and i'm on the stock SR-A's. However, when i'm first pulling out in the morning, going down my street at 25-30 mph I get a bounce....like the tires are out of balance. Same thing happens coming home (once again going down my street). I went and re balanced them my self and it still does it. I think it's the road.

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might need an alignment. Or you may have a bent wheel. Or a soft tire.

deep6blue

Reaction score
A soft tire is kinda what I was thinking. Since the Liberty drives straight and true with no vibration.

When I switched tires on my truck (2001 F150) from BFG Radial Long Trail's to Firestone Indy 500's there was a big difference in ride. The BFG's provided a very stable and smooth ride. With the Indy 500's it felt like the wind was pushing the truck around more. The traction and handling were good, but it felt as though the sidewalls were weaker.

Do you all feel the wind effects in your Liberty more than other vehicles?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deep6blue said:
Do you all feel the wind effects in your Liberty more than other vehicles?

I had some hard wind last Saturday hitting the left side. I think it holds up better then my Honda, due to the weight, even tho' it's larger.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering what type of vehicle it is, I don't find the wind to be a problem for me at all 99.9% of the time.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i get that when i first start driving also, i think its where it sits for awhile and leaves a flat spot on ur tires, then when u drive u feel that flat spot untill it works its way out.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
i get that when i first start driving also, i think its where it sits for awhile and leaves a flat spot on ur tires, then when u drive u feel that flat spot untill it works its way out.

it wil do it comin home to, after driving around town all day, or even on the I-40 for 2 hours.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wiggles in mine all of the time, but it's those four guys from Australia that dance and sing.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA ha

You can have them & Steve erwin #-o

we gotta a wiggles episode here with steve erwin at his zoo.

you must have a toddler \:D/

No probs with handling down here

deep6blue

Reaction score
I think what is happening is: I'm used to driving my F150, which has much more play in the steering. The Liberty has very tight steering to it. So I think it was more my driving than it was the Liberty.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have an 11 month old and he's mezmerized by the bright colors and the music. I hate it when I get those songs stuck in my head at the office.

Latest posts

Members online