Highway/city driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I made a post in another section, because I didn't see this section solely dedicated to tires.

Over here (Quebec) we have to put mandatory winter tires each year, from December 15th to March 15th.

I don't keep the winter tires on all year.

I need to buy new all-season/summer tires. In my previous thread I got a lot of all terrain recommendations, but I never do any off roading. So my question is, for regular city/highway driving, which type of tires should I get? Are all terrains necessary for exclusive city/highway driving?

I've been looking at the Michelin defenders/ LTX's, and the grabber AT2's or dynapros. My question is, if I'm strictly driving in the city and highway, what advantage does an all terrain have compared to a regular all season highway/road tire?

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak towards the dynapros in the sense that they are rated as winter tires and handle well on dry pavement as well as snowy roads. I do use mine off road, but most of what I do is city driving as I live in Denver, CO. So I would think that the AT's would give you better grip with more of a snowy condition than street tires as they usually don't have the same kind of semi-aggressive to aggressive tread that a AT would.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general grabbers at2's are a great value, in terms of how long they last. My last set of five lasted 80,000 miles, this is also with a 5 tire rotation.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checkout Goodyear Wrangler Authority's
They're great in all weather conditions, they have the flake logo on the sides and a very aggressive tread pattern
18/32s of tread, so slightly more than Duratracs AND you'd pay almost double the price per tire if you got Duratracs
These are comparable to them in regards to performance, tread life, etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Checkout Goodyear Wrangler Authority's
They're great in all weather conditions, they have the flake logo on the sides and a very aggressive tread pattern
18/32s of tread, so slightly more than Duratracs AND you'd pay almost double the price per tire if you got Duratracs
These are comparable to them in regards to performance, tread life, etc

Either one, those or the Duratracs, same almost and do great, sold mine ( 265-75-16s ) with over 92,000 on them

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I should go for an all terrain tire versus a regular tire, even if I only drive exclusively in city/highway?

If I had to choose between say a Michelin LTX M/S2 (Highway all season tire) vs a General Grabber AT 2 (all season all terrain tire). Taking note I only do highway and city driving, never off road. What would be the reason I get the AT 2 over the LTX?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at Coopers , they have some great ATs
I'd rather have a really good AT tire than regular tire
Better for a KJ
Would pick anything over a Michelin

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at Coopers , they have some great ATs
I'd rather have a really good AT tire than regular tire
Better for a KJ
Would pick anything over a Michelin

What do you have against the French, Tom? :happy175:

I actually had great luck over the years with Michelin. Tons of miles and good traction but I don't think they are worth the excessive price.

Seriously, I'd go with an AT style and I'd definitely look at the Coopers or their "subsidiaries". I'll be getting a set later this spring. There are really good alternatives. My 05 still has the OE tires and they don't have much life left. The 02 has some Kelly Safari ATRs. They are pretty mild but have some tread. Probably a nice compromise.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd never get the performance out of a regular tire like you would with ATs
Why not have some that can do great on road but if need be, can get you through thick, packed snow just like it were a dry road
I never OffRoad either, I added my lift to sit higher and to fit bigger tires so I felt safer with some beefy ATs and I haven't looked back since
Ride quality isn't great but I feel planted to the road like never before

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestone Destination LE2 possibly?
Definitely a more street oriented profile and design, since that seems like what he wants.
Also garners good reviews from people on here, IIRC.

I know they were on my short list when I went tire shopping. Obviously I went another direction (see sig. :D )

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My "city driving" tires are Destination MT's,great traction when it's dry and raining and with how they are wearing I'll get over 80,000 miles before they wearout on a 6200lbs+ KJ.

Got almost 8,000 miles and they have only worn 1/32",315/75R16 load range E set at 35psi.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd look at the Firestone Destination AT...it's really more an aggressive all season. Looks good on a KJ. I don't think you need anything more aggressive than that, Duratracs and Grabbers are great, but I think you'd be happier with a milder tire.

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the BFGoodrich TA KO2? I've seen lots of good reviews online, but have yet to see any recommendations on here?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the BFGoodrich TA KO2? I've seen lots of good reviews online, but have yet to see any recommendations on here?

I've heard good things about them. Price, availability, weight, and snow rating steered me away from them...but I have a buddy that swears by them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Very weak sidewalls and massively overpriced for the performance you get from a 30+year old design(new shoulder design with 30+ year old tread design).

For alot less $$$ you can get the same crappy performance from General Grabber AT2's(same tire,different name).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're buying name only on the BFGs
Used to sell a ton of them due to people thought they just had to ahve them while other tires preformed better

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd look at the Firestone Destination AT...it's really more an aggressive all season. Looks good on a KJ. I don't think you need anything more aggressive than that, Duratracs and Grabbers are great, but I think you'd be happier with a milder tire.

I've had a set of the Firestone Destination ATs on my Ranger for a few years now (maybe 20k) and they do look good, they are wearing well and are very good in snow, dirt and mud. They are pretty quiet and handle well on dry pavement too but I've broken the back end loose a few times in moderate rain. Could be that the pickup is a bit too light back there but I'm not sure I'd get them again.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a set of the Firestone Destination ATs on my Ranger for a few years now (maybe 20k) and they do look good, they are wearing well and are very good in snow, dirt and mud. They are pretty quiet and handle well on dry pavement too but I've broken the back end loose a few times in moderate rain. Could be that the pickup is a bit too light back there but I'm not sure I'd get them again.

S10's have the same issue as does any nissan or toyota tacoma's with those tires,not enough weight in the back end.1/2 ton pickups don't have that issue but have more weight.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big fan of Nokian Hakkapeliittas for winter, on paved roads.

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna settle on these all terrains..

Yokohama Geolandar a/t g015's

For winter, I have the Yokohama iG51v's, they're pretty good, not the best, but decent.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.