Hidden Power Inverter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm wondering if anybody has done this. Hidden a 400 watt power inverter under the trim panel where the factory CD changer is supposed to go.

I figure if you use the round power adapter, to power the inverter, then use a very short (roughly 12 inches) extension cord to fit into the hole where the round adapter was you have a 12 volt tap. You could even place two of them

My concerns are, heat and space for the inverter. Does the panel just pull off? Has anybody tried this?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres actually probably enough room in the trim panel by the outlet to throw it behind there. I was surprised w/ the amount of room back there when I installed my XM antenna. I had the same idea, but havent done it.

If you decide to do it, take some pix and do a how-to article describing what u did.

Good luck!

-Blu

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm, If I were you I would run thicker guage wire to it from the battery. Since, the wire for that outlet isn't that big really.

But I do think it would fit in there.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the 250 watt + and they all have a mini fan built in to the unit. Wouldn't it get too hot?

But then I think, the RB1 has a fan as well and shoved into the dash.
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but the rear power tap is only on when the ignition is on, correct?
But do you think, potential heat problem. (Don't want a fire)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
rear 12v outlet is on ALL the time

Ya, I was thinkin about that too. Was thinkin if I did this I'd throw in a switch for the power to the inverter so it would only be on when needed.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the fact that it's on all the time would be a problem. Wouldn't want to drain the battery or anything like that. I'll have to look around, see if there's a power inverter that has a remote swtich. (or go to radio shack and wire in a corded switch.)
Maybe test the inverter by putting it under some plastic, letting it run and seeing how much heat it generates.

froop

Reaction score
Trodo said:
Yeah, the fact that it's on all the time would be a problem. Wouldn't want to drain the battery or anything like that.

If you're not running any devices off it, there is no current being drawn. OK, so maybe there's a little bit, but it will be next to nothing.

or go to radio shack and wire in a corded switch.

If you do that, make sure you wire the switch through a relay. You most definately do not want the switch in line with a high current draw device. Same goes as for with driving lights.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the rear, right corner, where that little net thing is. The net is gone and a cd changer is in place of that.

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do except I have mine a little closer to the cockpit. Its hidden in the the center console/armrest thing. In addition, I have a custom port that includes the outlet, as well as RCA inputs for another device such as a game system, additional DVD player, VCR, whatever. I also use the power inverter for tailgating (blenders :)), camping etc. I had a picture but my hosting site went kaput. I'll try to take another....

automatorokc

Reaction score
I put a 400W inverter in the net without mounting it hard and it works fine. I also rewired the whole rear power outlet to make it keyed like the front as even with nothing plugged into the inverter, it WILL drain your battery quite quickly.

Members online

No members online now.